Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Tinyroots? 6 years 10 months ago #33278

• MajorGoob
  • MajorGoob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
Being new to bonsai, I had no idea that concave cutters were such a big deal. I didn't understand why everyone praised these things above all other tools. Until yesterday. I need concave cutters. I have a Bougainvillea that I had to remove some dead branches from and now I realize why they are so important. Does anyone have any opinions on Tinyroots tools from Bonsaioutlet.com?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tinyroots? 6 years 10 months ago #33279

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Being new to bonsai, I had no idea that concave cutters were such a big deal

They are not really a big deal - unless when you need them for a specific purpose. I rarely use them myself.

Sorry, no experience with this store.

Tinyroots? 6 years 10 months ago #33281

• MajorGoob
  • MajorGoob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
The dead branch was coming out of a split. None of my usual clippers could get in there to make a clean cut flush with the trunk I was keeping so I wound up having to shave away material to get a clean and close cut. I have been told that this is the thing that concave cutters eliminate.

Tinyroots? 6 years 10 months ago #33284

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

The dead branch was coming out of a split. None of my usual clippers could get in there to make a clean cut flush with the trunk I was keeping so I wound up having to shave away material to get a clean and close cut. I have been told that this is the thing that concave cutters eliminate.

There are many ways to do this, and it seems you found your own way - by shaving away material. I do that too, occasionally. If my concave cutter or my knob cutter do not suffice (for example, when the branch is too thick for the cutter) I use a dremel to carve away material.

What I am trying to say is that each tool has its specific purpose - but the only tools I find absolutely essential are bonsai sheers.

Tinyroots? 6 years 10 months ago #33299

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
I find I use them for almost everything. Also regular pruning of branches. For those I am actually cnsidering buying good quality, as I have now my secondpair which is really reaching thewear out point.

I rarely use the sheers myself. I have a nail clipper (Yes, seriously) for smalll branches & leaves Probably my most frequently used tools. And the concave for most other jobs. But you know what it is.. If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.. In other words: The toosl you have, ften dictate what you use. I rarely go out to buy a tool when I am stuck: I find another way of handling the existing tools. (Resulting in having to replace tools more often than normal..).
The following user(s) said Thank You: MajorGoob

Tinyroots? 6 years 10 months ago #33313

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

I have a nail clipper (Yes, seriously) for smalll branches & leaves

Uff! I thought it was only me! :-)

Tinyroots? 6 years 10 months ago #33325

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
:)

Great minds -- yadieyadie..
Nope.. I went to a workshop with Tony Tickel, and realized I did not have pointy scizzors. So in a shops just before bury I found these cruved nail scizzors and bought them. Ever since I have become an addict. They are great!

• Page: