• Page:

TOPIC: Corokia Cotoneaster newbie

Corokia Cotoneaster newbie 6 months 3 weeks ago #34844

Hello everyone! New here at the forum, looking for advice on my tree.

I bought my Corokia on june 24th 2017 and am very happy with it so far. I've read I should water it from the bottom to encourage root-growth (which seems to be working, see picture) and keep it moist, but not overwater and also not let it dry out. I water it roughly two times a week (by filling the bottom of the blue pot with 2-3 cm of water) at least this time of summer while it is surprisingly warm here in Norway. I also mist it with a spray-bottle every night. I do want to get a slightly bigger pot for it, which I can fill with rubble for drainage. My question is, is a slightly bigger pot with drainage advisable? And how should I let its roots grow comfortably and healthy in it's future? I don't want to prune it in the near future, as I absolutely love the shape it is already, so I want to let it grow naturally for the time being. This is my ghost- tree (as we call it in Norwegian) today:

This is my first post on the forums, so I hope the pictures are in order.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• vonJanermeister
  • vonJanermeister's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0

Corokia Cotoneaster newbie 6 months 3 weeks ago #34845

It seems the last pic I embedded wasn't right and I couldn't figure out how to edit it on my phone - this is a pic of my ghost tree today.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• vonJanermeister
  • vonJanermeister's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0

Corokia Cotoneaster newbie 6 months 3 weeks ago #34847

This is a nice plant, and great to see the enthousiasm.

I would NOT recommend watering by putting it in a layer of water. Water from the top. You want roots at the surface, rather then the top.

I think it would help you to read a little more about what bonsai are and what bonsai is about. This is right now a potted plant, but not a bonsai.
  • leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • For the love of plants
  • Thank you received: 1098
Ficus and bonsai. Lots can be said.
Only small things can ever become big
growingbonsai.net: Learn how to grow bonsai
  • Page: