Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

having issues with fertilizing? 6 years 7 months ago #35306

• Marcei
  • Marcei's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Hello all,

So I have matsu biogreen liquid fertilizer and instructions says 5ml to 2lt water every week. But problem is sometimes the soil stays moist for over a week after watering the tree and I am having concerns to fertilize it through watering while it doesnt need watering. I have read many articles about fertilizing and almost all say 'fertilize once a week or once in twice a week or best do what instruction says'.

Also I have other unclear points in fertilizing. So I have this 2lt water mix with fertilizer which I should use in a week. Should I use all in once and let most of it to go overflow? Or should I use it through the week without spilling in small portions? What I am doing is fertilizing in small portions through the week but after a week there is still 1/4 of the bottle remains. Also while using liquid fertilizers( in growth season) do we need to take a break and use normal water or it doesnt neccessary for the plant?

Sorry for newbie questions, after digging the internet for days I couldnt find a proper answer.

Thanks,
Marcei

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

having issues with fertilizing? 6 years 7 months ago #35308

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Fertilizing depends on the substrate, species and health of your tree. It is a good indication to use the concentration and frequency on the bottle. But if you are growing a small plant in dirt, adn are not growing bonsai using proper substrate, it is a different story. As you say it takes a week for your substrate to dry, I am assuming you are not growing bonsai in bonsai substrate. (As an indication: Most of my plants in summer dry out to the point of wilting within 48 hours).

There are so many opposing views on watering, substrate and fertilizer, that in the end you have to work out for yourself what works for you. In my case, I do not think about it. I fertilize when I think about it and use what I have laying around at that time. Particularly just before a longer period of rain I fertilize, using solid fertilizer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marcei

having issues with fertilizing? 6 years 7 months ago #35319

• Lukasz
  • Thanks received: 1
I would keep the fertiliser on the safe side. I would dilute the fertiliser more and water the plant thoroughly until the water comes out of drainage holes. Some people divide monthly portion into days and use fertiliser on daily basis but for that you would need a very good draining soil. Mine dries out after 3 days.
hope this helps
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marcei

having issues with fertilizing? 6 years 7 months ago #35321

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

you would need a very good draining soil. Mine dries out after 3 days.

Mine dries almost every day; I water twice a day in the summer.

• Page: