Do you water a sleeping bonsai?

Do you water a sleeping bonsai? - Bonsai forum

Bonsai forum

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Do you water a sleeping bonsai? was created by chrisbonsai

Posted 6 years 3 months ago #36940
Hi all, my Bonsai occasionally looses all its leaves - i call it sleeping, but i do not know what is the technical term for this :) Apperantly it does this due to any major changes (re-positioning, too much cold, etc) But I always wait for my bonsai - you would think it is dead but it grows new leaves after a few weeks. Should i water my bonsai during this sleeping period? The soil remains very humid and does not feel dry to touch - soil always feels damp as if I watered it yesterday. Thanks
by chrisbonsai

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Replied by leatherback on topic Do you water a sleeping bonsai?

Posted 6 years 3 months ago #36945
You water bonsai as the soil starts to get dry. So.. Also when there are no leaves: You water when the soil starts to dry out, but before it really is dry.

If your plant drops it leaves every once in a while you are having an care issue. What species is it? Is it in direct rain? Wind? Sun? How do you care for it? (Naturally, you do not mean:It drops its leaves in fall, right?)
by leatherback

Replied by chrisbonsai on topic Do you water a sleeping bonsai?

Posted 6 years 3 months ago #36956
Hi leatherback, thanks so much for your reply, its great to know someone will help me. Actually I have it for 1 and a half years now and it did this twice: last year in july - exactly after i changed its position - i am suspecting that that was the reason. Now this year it did it in around october - so thats during fall yes, but last year it did not go to sleep in october (as i said it only did it in july), so was thinking that it is a bonsai that does not normally change leaves in fall, otherwise it will do it every year during the same time, no? I am a beginner so i dont know much. As its position, no wind or rain because its indoor, but its in direct sunlight (through a window) for a couple of hours a day but other than the two sleeping periods mentioned above, it looks healthy full of nice green leaves - so i was thinking the sun is not causing harm. Thanks alot!
by chrisbonsai