Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Growing a Juniper in Seattle 6 years 1 month ago #37854

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
Usually rain is not a problem for bonsai.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Growing a Juniper in Seattle 6 years 1 month ago #37857

• Kat64
  • Kat64's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
thanks. here the rain is pretty constant for weeks at a time, Nov through March (sometimes later). hopefully it won't be an issue since I know overwatering is a problem

Growing a Juniper in Seattle 6 years 1 month ago #37859

• Teye01
  • Thanks received: 13

since nobody has addressed my question about being exposed to winter rains here in Seattle, does that mean this won't be a problem (it won't be too wet)?

Literally, Auk gave you your answer in the first comment:

Too much water is not great - but so far all my junipers handle it well. Of course they are in well draining soil.

In other words, yes they can handle a lot of rain if the soil is well draining.

To address your light "issue": in winter, trees are dormant. That means that they'll slow down their photosynthesis and stop growth (it is a little more complex, but I don't want to get too detailed, because I might do it wrong too). This happens because of the lower temperatures and because there is less light. Because there is less light, the plant slows down their photosynthesis, because otherwise he would use more energy than he could produce. With trees that keep their foliage, there will still be a bit photosynthesis so it needs a bit more light than a deciduous tree, that you can store in pitch blackness because they have no leaves (which happens because the tree takes all the nutrients out of the leaves to store in its trunk as a kind of "fat reserve" for winter). To make a long story short, your juniper doesn't really need a lot of light in winter, but is still needs a bit (in my opinion, just give it your best spot)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kat64

Last edit: Post by Teye01.

Growing a Juniper in Seattle 6 years 1 month ago #37862

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Literally, Auk gave you your answer in the first comment:

Unless when "exposed to winter rains here in Seattle" is different from being expossed to winter rains here in the Netherlands...

Growing a Juniper in Seattle 6 years 1 month ago #37884

• Teye01
  • Thanks received: 13
Maybe the rain is a bit too direct, if you get the joke ;).

Growing a Juniper in Seattle 6 years 3 weeks ago #38073

• PortageBay
I also live in Seattle with a healthy bonsai juniper doing well with mid-day sun and light watering at least every other day during June-September. I don't worry about winter rain because though winter brings lots of drizzle and clouds, the average Seattle rainfall is less that 40 inches, comparable to the U.S. east of Mississippi River (though granted the Eastern U.S. is more likely to have this rainfall spread thoughout the year). Adequate drainage is the key. Swanson's and Sky's nurseries in north Seattle have bonsai supplies and expert advice.

Last edit: Post by PortageBay.

Growing a Juniper in Seattle 6 years 3 weeks ago #38113

• Kat64
  • Kat64's Avatar Topic Author
thank you! I will have to visit those nurseries again soon - living in West Seattle they're a bit of a trip. I did discover Bonsai Northwest in Tukwila, they have lots of bonsai, some supplies, and have classes. There's also a guy there who's an expert (I believe he teaches some of the classes) who said he could help me change out the soil on mine when it's time (or do it himself, but he charges $40/hr for that lol)
www.bonsainw.com/

Growing a Juniper in Seattle 6 years 3 weeks ago #38115

• Rossvegas
  • Thanks received: 1
Hello I live in North Seattle and your Juniper should do just fine. as much light as possible and keep an eye on your container to make sure the drainage is still exceptional. Your Juniper wiil thrive in our climate as long as the roots do not become water logged.

• Page: