Bonsai forum

Why not

• Wrenn12
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Why not was created by Wrenn12

Posted 5 years 10 months ago #41607
I read a LOT of posts on here about wilted Bonsai and brown leaves due to over watering and under watering. I just wonder why no one experienced or inexperienced ever mentioned using a water meter; ever. Are they inaccurate and unreliable? I am just asking, because I am a LITTLE new to Bonsai - despite dabbling for 20 years. I use one on a daily basis with all of my new Bonsai, until I can guess myself if they need watering and it is consistently confirmed when I follow up with my water meter. Also, I don’t see any posts on people checking the pH of their soil or metering the light their Bonsai get. Why?
by Wrenn12

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic Why not

Posted 5 years 10 months ago #41610

Wrenn12 wrote: I follow up with my water meter. Also, I don’t see any posts on people checking the pH of their soil or metering the light their Bonsai get.

I do use a ph meter, weekly.
Light is not a problem where I live.
Moisture in the soil I check with my fingers, with a chopstick when the soil is organic and a little compacted.
But...
I don't trust the accuracy of these cheaper meters, and on the other hand I have no money to buy the scientific stuff, so...
by Clicio

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Why not

Posted 5 years 10 months ago #41614

Wrenn12 wrote: Also, I don’t see any posts on people checking the pH of their soil or metering the light their Bonsai get. Why?

My trees are outdoors where they belong. I really do not see why a lightmeter would be useful.
by Auk

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Why not

Posted 5 years 10 months ago #41621
Every plant is different in their wat needs. And it can be a matter of mere hours between not dry and too dry. Just using a meter is not going to solve these issues. That is besides the fact that most people with the problems have ne plant, bought with the idea to put someone on the table in house and never considered that this might be just a tad different from growing bonsai.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: Felidae

• Porgie91
  • Thanks received: 4

Replied by Porgie91 on topic Why not

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42093

Wrenn12 wrote: I read a LOT of posts on here about wilted Bonsai and brown leaves due to over watering and under watering. I just wonder why no one experienced or inexperienced ever mentioned using a water meter; ever. Are they inaccurate and unreliable? I am just asking, because I am a LITTLE new to Bonsai - despite dabbling for 20 years. I use one on a daily basis with all of my new Bonsai, until I can guess myself if they need watering and it is consistently confirmed when I follow up with my water meter. Also, I don’t see any posts on people checking the pH of their soil or metering the light their Bonsai get. Why?

So a plant will rarely be happy all the time throughout it's life. pH meters are really good at identifying issues with your soil. However water meters are no better than your little finger. Simply put if your soil is saturated with water, you know it's a swamp. If the soil is damp to the touch before watering - for most trees - that's just right.

I use an auto watering system, it's great for consistency and allows you to troubleshoot if you think your plant is suffering.
by Porgie91