Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Determining when to water 5 years 8 months ago #43186

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 236

I love to go tech. So, we are looking for a hydrometer basically. Unfortunately, most are designed for measuring in a medium different than soil. But, then I found one at Home Depot! I might get one of these and start taking measurements for baselines in different types of soil. Fun tech stuff!

Tech solutions many times makes easier our life and I also think they’re fun.. ^^ But Mimo’s method seems right. If don’t have tech solution on which you can trust, you need to get dirty daily.

I’ve already tested similar product on different incubation mediums and vivarium soil, but I didn’t found reliable at all. The readings changed in high interval within seconds, measuring on the same place, same depth. Maybe that’s why we don’t have too much brands from that type on the market.. :dry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Felidae.

Determining when to water 5 years 7 months ago #43901

• tallacman
  • Thanks received: 0
I have a really stupid question that I will tack onto this thread rather than start another watering question.

If I am using really well-draining soil does it matter if I water continuously, say with a mister? Seems to me the roots would never be saturated in this scenario, or am I missing something?

Determining when to water 5 years 7 months ago #43904

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

If I am using really well-draining soil does it matter if I water continuously, say with a mister? Seems to me the roots would never be saturated in this scenario, or am I missing something?

No, it doesn't matter in theory, but...
If you leave the bonsai wet all the time (the foliage), it will develop some or many types of fungus.
That is why automated systems (with sprinklers) will go off early in the morning and, if needed in mid-afternoon (in the Summer for instance); so the leaves have time to dry before evening - to avoid fungus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Felidae

Last edit: Post by Clicio.
  • Page: