Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Effects of a heatwave on trees. 5 years 8 months ago #43627

• Franky
  • Franky's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 14
Correct, it’s inside. It’s kept in a porch; plenty of light and fresh air. I tend to not move it around as I know trees don’t like this, but during the recent weather - and this could be my undoing on reflection - it was outside for a while.

Unfortunately we’ve had a squirrel destroying the grass and planters, so it was in and out for a few days. Once it started showing this stress, I’ve put it back in the porch. It seemed to be thriving in there up to that point.

Also, as this isn’t going to be its final position (it will be going somewhere where likely there is no garden or outdoor area) I decided to keep it indoors. Not sure if I’ve done the right thing now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Franky.

Effects of a heatwave on trees. 5 years 3 months ago #46428

• Franky
  • Franky's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 14
Hapy New Year to all.

So, towards the end of summer last year, my Chinese elm began to struggle. It may have been, in part, due to the heat we had in the UK, but the jury’s still out on that.

Leaves dropped almost entirely, and it was looking a bit sorry for itself. I’ve left it outside since then. Fortunately, we haven’t had any real frost to speak of so it hasn’t needed any protection. I’ve watered it infrequently, just enough to keep the substrate damp, and ( I’m getting to the point ), low and behold, it has already started budding!

This surprised me on two counts: one, I didn’t think this was late enough for this to happen, although we have had a mild winter and little to no frost: two, my natural pessimism led me to think it was dead.
Maybe this thinking was due to the struggle it had shown and also I suspected some dieback was happening. Having only acquired it in the last year or so, I’m not used to the species and still very much learning. So I would say the whitish looking branches that look brittle and dead are probably water deposits (limescale) rather than a dying branch?

That leaves me with a couple of questions:

Can I begin fertilising seeing as the buds have starting opening? Secondly, is it advisable to prune some of the undesirable branches now that it is showing signs o life: did I miss the opportunity while it was dormant?

Anyway, that’s the update. Hopefully it will continue to grow and thrive.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Effects of a heatwave on trees. 5 years 3 months ago #46430

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
Nice trunk and ramifications Franky!
Some Elms lose their leaves in winter, only to sprout new ones in spring.
I am NOT the most expert as I live in a tropical country and things here are different in winter; really mild, no snow at all.
I hope yours thrive!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Franky

Last edit: Post by Clicio.