• Page:

TOPIC:

Watering Wisteria 5 years 8 months ago #43691

• Ivan Mann
  • Ivan Mann's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
At the local bonsai meeting Monday night somebody said that this time of year wisteria should be sitting in water, not just watered often, but soaking all day long.

He said take it out of the water in the winter, but soak the rest of the time.

Watering is a function of species and climate, but does anybody believe this? More importantly, practice it? My wisteria does seem to dry out by afternoon, so I water it again. Continual soaking seems extreme.

Climate around here this month is highs of 95-100 F during the days, unless it rains, which can happen every day, lows of 80. That is 37-40C and 26C, for those who measure temperature by 21st century standards. Winter here lasts maybe a week or so. Last year we had three or four nights below freezing and one day below freezing. We had one day of frozen precipitation; the next day everything had melted by noon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Watering Wisteria 5 years 8 months ago #43698

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Yup. In summer Wisteria loves water. It is quite common to place the pot in a shallow tray of water, allowing the plant to continuously drink. Do allow the plant to regularly drain the tray though. So effectively it would be not sitting in water for more than a day or two, after which you refill.

Truth be told: My beech and mume are not sitting in a shallow tray that holds water for a few hours after watering.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: