Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Homemade plant food anyone? 5 years 2 months ago #46515

• RyanSA
  • RyanSA's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I have done some research and was looking for something I can use to feed my little trees. I found some that mentioned epsom salt and bicarbonate of soda? Five litres water with 1tbs epsom salts and 1tsp bicarbonate - or does this apply more to garden plants only?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Homemade plant food anyone? 5 years 2 months ago #46517

• m5eaygeoff
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 852
Sodium bicarbonate is not fertiliser. You don't "feed" trees you add fertiliser to allow the plants to produce salts by photosynthesis. Plants need to be able to absorb nitrogen phosphates and potash as the main components as well as trace elements. So a balanced fertiliser is what plants require. Having said that it is also possible for plants to get all that they need without any additions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyanSA

Homemade plant food anyone? 5 years 2 months ago #46518

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
Are we still talking about your seedlings?

Homemade plant food anyone? 5 years 2 months ago #46522

• RyanSA
  • RyanSA's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

As mentioned in my very first post.. www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/help-me/12575-any-advice.... I also have a variety of cuttings and air layerings, NOT ONLY SEEDLINGS. I also mentioned in that post that I wouldn't spend any more time on seedlings.. So no.. We are not. We are talking about my cuttings/air layerings. Here I am only trying to ascertain whether there is something I can make at home or should I rather look for a commercial product.

Homemade plant food anyone? 5 years 2 months ago #46523

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

As mentioned in my very first post.. www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/help-me/12575-any-advice.... I also have a variety of cuttings and air layerings, NOT ONLY SEEDLINGS. I also mentioned in that post that I wouldn't spend any more time on seedlings.. So no.. We are not. We are talking about my cuttings/air layerings. Here I am only trying to ascertain whether there is something I can make at home or should I rather look for a commercial product.

OK, good to know what we're talking about. You're not really going to need fertilizer until your cuttings / airlayers have rooted and are growing. I'd simply buy a regular, commercial product.

• Page: