Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Watering frequency in terrerium 5 years 2 months ago #46622

• danktree
  • danktree's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi all.

I'm thinking of bonsaing. I've done a little research. A lot more to do. I see that Ficus is best for indoors. If it's in a terrerium then I'm guessing the frequency of misting will be greatly decreased due to humidity?

On this site is says daily misting but does not mention if this is in a terrerium or not. I've seen some places say a terrerium bonsai can be watered twice a year (I'm guessing if it's very humid inside with other vegetation).

I have bought a book on terreriums which should arrive soon and this has a section on bonsai so will see what it says there. But any tips in this regard for the meantime?

Hopefully daily or even weekly watering can be avoided somehow otherwise I cannot have one :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Watering frequency in terrerium 5 years 1 month ago #47301

• Scott81
  • Thanks received: 3
I have no advice for a terrarium.

A couple of my ficus are in the bathroom and get a daily misting from the shower, but they are neither better nor worse than the ones in my bedroom that never receive misting.

When I had them in a moisture retentive soil I could not water more than once a month. I recently repotted in a soil that is mostly pumice with some sphagnum peat moss (~5%) included. Now I water more or less weekly. They seem to be thriving in the new medium, but it is hard to say because they were also growing well before.

Ficus is pretty easy as long as you water at the right time. I keep them in locations where it is easy to examine them daily, and I just water when they need it.

Watering frequency in terrerium 5 years 1 month ago #47315

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

On this site is says daily misting but does not mention if this is in a terrerium or not. I've seen some places say a terrerium bonsai can be watered twice a year (I'm guessing if it's very humid inside with other vegetation)

Only people who have terrariums as hobby ask questions like this. People who grow bonsai, don't.

I don't mist my trees, ever. No one who grows bonsai only waters them twice a year - during the warm season, we water 'm daily, sometimes even multiple times per day if it's necessary.

You will not find people with expertise on terrariums here. This is a bonsai forum.

Watering frequency in terrerium 5 years 1 month ago #47317

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 170
There were a couple of people who made terrariums on here with bonsai... or maybe mallsai, I don't really remember...
if you use the search funktion you might find them... I would bet their experiment did not go as well as they planned... some people do ok with tropical trees indoors... I have managed to keep most of mine alive, but I can't wait until it is warm enough that they can go outside, I am not going to be getting any more tropical plants...

Watering frequency in terrerium 5 years 1 month ago #47323

• Beiermann
  • Thanks received: 2
Perfectly valid question! This is a forum… we are here to help.

I don’t think you should have any problem growing an indoor ficus in an terrarium. But it think keeping it separate from the rest of the plants with good drainage is your best bet. And treat the plant like a bonsai tree and not like just another plant, bonsai is mutual respect for nature and beauty and so on, so it is not just a pant or just a tree it’s a bonsai and there can be made a point of discussing if it even is a bonsai if it is in a terrarium… But as long as you keep the tree right you should be fine. There are species guides on this site, follow them, see how the tree react and take it from there.

Good luck!

• Page: