Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Should I fertilize my trident maple? 4 years 11 months ago #48772

• Ryan08
  • Ryan08's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi everyone.
I am new to bonsais. I bought a trident maple 2 months ago. It seems to be going ok but I have not given it any food yet. It is just about to hit winter in Australia so I am not sure when I should be feeding it.

There are also some little greenage growing aswell, should that be removed? I kind of like it

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Should I fertilize my trident maple? 4 years 11 months ago #48774

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I assume you are talking about fertilizer? The thing that is most like food for plants is sunlight, which is where plants get their energy. Normally you would give plants fertilizer every other week or so during the growing season. So in my garden your plant would have had fertilizer already 3 times.

Should I fertilize my trident maple? 4 years 11 months ago #48775

• Ryan08
  • Ryan08's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Yes sorry fertilizer. Ok I should probably get some for it then. I read a 20-20-20 fertilizer is best. Any suggestions?

Should I fertilize my trident maple? 4 years 11 months ago #48779

• Fonz
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 46
If winter is coming where you live I should hold back on the fertilizer. If you got a couple of months before the tree hits dormancy you can probably still use some high K and low N fertilizer.

Should I fertilize my trident maple? 4 years 11 months ago #48780

• m5eaygeoff
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
If you are coming into winter then stop fertiliser. The leaves should drop off soon, then depending on how the temperature is or the amount of rain you will need to water to not allow the soil to be very dry.

Should I fertilize my trident maple? 4 years 11 months ago #48788

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I am going to disagree with all that has been said :). The tree will prepare for next growing season now, and during the period of leaf drop. Furthermore, the tree will start relocating sugars and energy across the plant soon, to prepare for winter. Having nutrients available will aid that process.

Your plant needs a good dose of fertilizer considering you have not fertilized for most of summer. 20/20/20 should be fine.

Last edit: Post by leatherback.

Should I fertilize my trident maple? 4 years 11 months ago #48789

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

There are also some little greenage growing aswell, should that be removed? I kind of like it

It looks like Oxalis and if that's what it is, you definitely need to get it out of there, roots and all.

Should I fertilize my trident maple? 4 years 11 months ago #48791

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

It looks like Oxalis and if that's what it is, you definitely need to get it out of there, roots and all.

Agreed.
I have the stuff everywhere. It is a nightmare, and very agressively taking over every container it sets root.

Should I fertilize my trident maple? 4 years 11 months ago #48792

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Agreed.
I have the stuff everywhere. It is a nightmare, and very agressively taking over every container it sets root.

Exactly. I have it in my pots. Removed all of it this year from trees that I repotted, cleaned up the pots of trees that were not repotted as much as possible, and it is still coming back up. The seed pods explode, shooting seeds in all directions - into all your other pots. It's not that it's not a nice plant, it's just very invasive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ricky73, Clicio

Should I fertilize my trident maple? 4 years 11 months ago #48799

• Ricky73
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 50
Hi all,
let me apologize as I'm going off topic from the original post… but I saw the discussion on the Oxalis… I have it in the soil of my Olive tree… it has done no damage so far.
The Olive was repotted one year ago so I did not mean to do it this year. However I ask you if it may harm the growth of the plant, clogging the pot with its roots.
I try to get rid of them but it's impossible to do it properly, fully removing their roots, unless I repot my tree completely.
Thanks in advance for your advice.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by Ricky73.