• Page:

TOPIC: Coffee Grounds

Coffee Grounds 2 months 2 days ago #49296

According to other online fora coffee grounds are a wonderful addition to bonsai soil, or awful, or so so. For those who think wonderful, they recommend adding directly to the soil mix, sprinkling on top of an already potted tree, or composting first, for a month or a year.

In other words, there is support for just about every answer.

Does anyone here have experience with coffee grounds? We toss three or four cups worth every day and it would be nice to do something useful with them.
  • Ivan Mann
  • Ivan Mann's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 104

Coffee Grounds 2 months 2 days ago #49298

Ivan, the main problem with coffee grounds is that it creates an impermeable layer on the soil, and watering gets compromised.
When I use, I sprinkle it in some parts of the soil, but never cover the soil with them.:-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ivan Mann
  • Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1050

Coffee Grounds 2 months 2 days ago #49299

Ivan Mann wrote: Does anyone here have experience with coffee grounds? We toss three or four cups worth every day and it would be nice to do something useful with them.

Off topic.,.. but:

I saved the rests of candles, melted them, mixed them in a milk carton with coffee grounds. Got them out of the cartons once they cooled off and made a nice fire.
  • Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1480

Coffee Grounds 2 months 2 days ago #49301

Auk wrote: I saved the rests of candles, melted them, mixed them in a milk carton with coffee grounds. Got them out of the cartons once they cooled off and made a nice fire.

I'll surely try it Auk, thanks for the tip!
  • Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1050
  • Page: