• Page:

TOPIC:

how many time a day are you having to water? 4 years 8 months ago #51761

• m5eaygeoff
  • m5eaygeoff's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
With the temperatures as high as they are at the moment, how are your trees cog? I am watering twice every day at the moment, my theory is it is better they
have a bit too much water for a short time than not enough. It is working, all of my Acers and other deciduous trees have no leaf damage. and they are in full sun all day. The proof of this is when I was away in Albi in May and my wife watered I had quite a lot of leaf damage and it was not so hot. Can't complain of course!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

how many time a day are you having to water? 4 years 8 months ago #51767

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

is it is better they have a bit too much water for a short time than not enough.

Absolutely. I got a new oak, thought I watered it enough but apparently not - leaves have dried out and I wonder if they will come back.
I water twice a day now (would maybe water a bit more if I wasn't at work...). It will not be a problem for the trees to get a lot of water.
I've put some of the small or thirsty ones in a tray with water (for now. They won't stay there)

how many time a day are you having to water? 4 years 8 months ago #51768

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I have my small trees in a sand filled tray in the semi shade of a bigger tree. It helps. Today it is expected to reach 31C plus even here, further east even higher.
I think it depends how long the tree was dry, if it was only a short time then it should be ok.
Right now I am hoping if we get more thunderstorms it happens in the next two days and it is dry on Sunday for the table pot sale where I am taking trees to sell. Last year it was the only wet day of the summer

how many time a day are you having to water? 4 years 8 months ago #51770

• Fonz
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 46
Today it's supposed to get to 40°C here in Hellgium. I'm watering most 2 times a day now and keeping an eye on the ones in smaller containers or young plants.

how many time a day are you having to water? 4 years 8 months ago #51771

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
Hey europeans!
WELCOME to hellish brazil like summers!
The difference is that here it lasts at least 6 months...

how many time a day are you having to water? 4 years 8 months ago #51772

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
It has just topped 31C and humid too. Walk the dog later and then water the trees, and keep out of the sun as much as I can.

how many time a day are you having to water? 4 years 8 months ago #51773

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 600
I only water once a day. Right now we have been having cool nights but for two weeks highs of 95F/35C and lows of 85F/29C .

We are used to this, and expect pretty hot days from June to September, and in the last couple of years May to October. The nights are pretty hot June to August. I put a lot of organics in the potting mix to hold water. I get a daily feed from the power company that says how much we spent on electricity the day before and the cost of air conditioning has been high since May. I have had a little leaf damage.

Clicio, I had a student from Sao Paulo and she said climate here is about the same as there. We get some freezing in the winter, which by my estimate lasts three weeks.

how many time a day are you having to water? 4 years 8 months ago #51776

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Hey europeans!
WELCOME to hellish brazil like summers!
The difference is that here it lasts at least 6 months...

The highest temperature today in the Netherlands was 40,4 C. that is exceptional and broke a record of 75 years - when it was 38,6 C.

We are NOT used to this. I've been wearing short pants to work. First time in 33 years...

My trees seem OK - apart from an elm that was scorched already, grew new leaves quickly - but now looks a bit scorched again. Got it recently and I do not really like the soil it's in, but can't do much about it now. I guess it'll manage.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

how many time a day are you having to water? 4 years 8 months ago #51777

• crent89
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 230
we been hitting 105*F/ 40.5*C for the last month now and i been watering most trees twice a day and a few deciduous trees up to 3 times. better than last year as i had all my deciduous trees with bad leaf damage. luckily all trees made it and are still with me. i also experimented with a mixer of mostly akadama and about 15% organics to retain moister throughout the summer and all my junipers seem to be loving it and putting out lots of growth rather than 100% akadama.

how many time a day are you having to water? 4 years 8 months ago #51794

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Today here it is raining at the moment. But it is still 18C at 8.15am. I will have to wait for it to stop raining so I can water the trees. Should be only around 25C today and more cloud so they should not dry out quite so quick.

• Page: