Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Chinese Elm—brand-new to bonsai 4 years 6 months ago #52917

• RS
  • RS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I went to the only bonsai nursery in New Jersey and selected this Chinese Elm, see attached photo. We discussed newbie questions (watering, eventual repotting) but did not discuss fertilizing. It is currently September (autumn) here and I was told I could hold off on repotting until spring (it’s pretty root bound at the moment) and picked up some true bonsai “soil” as well as a shallower, slightly wider pot for when I eventually repot. He told me to read about various methods of cutting back the roots and become educated, which I will do. He also recommended letting the branches grow and gain some energy before I start snipping. It’s neat as it is.

We did not discuss fertilization. This tree is presently in their special bonsai nursery soil, not the bonsai “soil” I bought.

Question is two-fold:

(1) how often to fertilize autumn through winter? This will be wintering inside when the temps start going down; and

(2) what ready-mixed fertilizer would you recommend? I only have one tree, so not really looking to mix one part to a gallon.

I am in email contact with a local bonsai club, so I will be absorbing lots of info prior to spring. Any tidbits of help would be gratefully appreciated.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by RS.

Chinese Elm—brand-new to bonsai 4 years 6 months ago #52918

• Hansen
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 86
You need to now how Google works if you want to get in to bonsai. Google would have answered your questions :)

1, You do not fertilize trees during winter.
2, I can recommend Biogold or any well balanced organic fertilizer with added minerals.

Good luck :)

Chinese Elm—brand-new to bonsai 4 years 6 months ago #52919

• RS
Thank you for your reply. How about autumn? Do I need to fertilize any more this year? And thanks for the fertilizer recommendation, I will look for that.

As for Google, the phrase “if it’s on the internet it must be true!” comes to mind...I’d rather come here to speak to experts!

Chinese Elm—brand-new to bonsai 4 years 6 months ago #52920

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
If you keep this inside, you will keep the plant growing. So fertilizing once a month or so is appropriate, like you would any houseplant. Use regular fertilizer for container plants.

Chinese Elm—brand-new to bonsai 4 years 6 months ago #52921

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
That being said.. if you do not get very cold winters, elms can easily stand up to -10c in winter. Keeping it outdoors is realistic

Chinese Elm—brand-new to bonsai 4 years 6 months ago #52922

• Hansen
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 86
No you will not need to fertilize more this year. Some people are using fertilizer without nitrogen in autumn. You can look into that in the future.

I know the phrase. But there are many bonsai masters that writes blogs and makes YouTube videos etc. There are none bonsai masters on this forum, even though some think they are. You can find lots of very good information about bonsai on the internet from very highly skilled experts. Have fun and let us know if you got more questions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tropfrog, RS

Last edit: Post by Hansen.

Chinese Elm—brand-new to bonsai 4 years 6 months ago #52923

• RS
Our winters are usually cold, nights especially can go under freezing. We are zone 6B. Anyone familiar with US zones, please let me have your opinion on inside vs. outside.

Last edit: Post by RS.

Chinese Elm—brand-new to bonsai 4 years 6 months ago #52926

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352
There is more to it than inside/outside.

Inside a central heated room is far to warm and dry for the tree.

What you would like to find is a place with around 5-10c inside and some Light. Or a place outside protected from the wind. Theese are sold as outdoor trees in Sweden. Here it gets frosen for a couple of months with rare peeks down to minus 20c.

Br
Magnus

Chinese Elm—brand-new to bonsai 4 years 6 months ago #52927

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Our winters are usually cold, nights especially can go under freezing. We are zone 6B. Anyone familiar with US zones, please let me have your opinion on inside vs. outside.

6B is not too cold. I am in 7, and pretty much all my 150 trees are outside yearround, exception being things like brazilian raintrees, and my olives and pomegranates get some protection.

I am not sure why people seem to think you do not fertilize in winter. If you keep this indoors and the tree remains n growth, fertilize. When the tree grows it builds new branches and leaves. And the tree will need some building blocks that are not naturally in the water and air. As said, when you add fertilizer to your houseplants, do so for this plant as well.

If you have the place, I would however put it outside. The tree will go dormant, and return from winter stronger than when you keep it in our dark dry houses.

Chinese Elm—brand-new to bonsai 4 years 6 months ago #52929

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

There are none bonsai masters on this forum, even though some think they are.

Really? you must know this forum better than me. I do not remember having ever come across people here claiming to be a bonsai master (Whatever the definition is you think it has). Ido know there are a few on here who have a decent knowledge on bonsai though.

• Page: