Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Slow release fertilizer application rate, something like Milorganite? 4 years 4 months ago #54412

• Lawlcat
  • Lawlcat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
I've seen a few recommendations (by Adam Lavigne even) that Milorganite works as a good all-round fertilizer that can be used mostly year round (here in Florida). However when researching fertilizer tips for bonsai, people recommend applications every 2 weeks during growth season and a little longer out. Or "From first leaf to leaf drop" but I don't really see anyone specify much in terms of schedule for a slow-release organic pellet type like Milorganite. Also the application amount for Milorganite, recommended by the manufacturer, is 5 lbs per 1 inch of trunk. That seems insane and obviously not something we can do, so "a handful" ? A handful once a month since it's slow release? Too much and it'll get mucked up and reduce drainage. It's not very clear to me.

Any tips on using something like this or should I just toss it and buy something better? Needing to feed a Trident Maple, some Tiger Bark Ficuses, a Bougainvillea, some Chinese Elms...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Slow release fertilizer application rate, something like Milorganite? 4 years 4 months ago #54418

• Hansen
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 86
I can recommend Bio Gold organic slow release fertilizer. Bio Gold is one of the most used fertilizers on the market for bonsai and also one of the best.

It should be applicated every 3 month. I use about 1/2 pellets for every 1 inch pot size.
I use Bio Gold for all of my trees. Maple, Pines, Elms etc.

Slow release fertilizer application rate, something like Milorganite? 4 years 4 months ago #54420

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
The problem with the product you have now is that it is not a full spectrum fertilizer. It has N{itrogen} and P{phosphorous} but lacks K {Potassium} from the macro nutrients (nutrients needed in larger amounts). It claims micro-nutrients (Nutrients needed in lesser amounts) but does not specify this. www.milorganite.com/using-milorganite/products

There are a lot of fertilizers on the market. As often, it depends a lot on what substrate you use, how you water and what stage your trees are in.

I use Saidung Ultra which however is a European product. I do not believe in shipping fertilizer and soil around the world. For most products good alternatives are available locally.

I also have been using chicken manure pellets which work well, but are so high in organics that your substrate gets blocked quickly.
And I use regular seasonal fertilizer for veggie gardens. This is normally very rich fertilizer.
I also have liquid fertilizer, in the form of liquid seaweed/fish. This smells very bad, and gives a huge boost.

I am a firm believer in mixing different fertilizers to ensure a spread of micronutrients.

In the end: Slow release is good, but go for organics. Else you have little balls of salt which in bonsai pots can create problems. And make sure you get a good number of micronutrients and NPK
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, BofhSkull

Slow release fertilizer application rate, something like Milorganite? 4 years 4 months ago #54421

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
I use Biogold and Miracle Gro in all my plants in dosages as per label.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BofhSkull

Slow release fertilizer application rate, something like Milorganite? 4 years 2 months ago #56012

• Sarul
  • Thanks received: 0
Does anyone on here use Naruko fertiliser, with an NPK of 5-5-5 is this sufficient.

Slow release fertilizer application rate, something like Milorganite? 4 years 2 months ago #56013

• BofhSkull
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 121

Does anyone on here use Naruko fertiliser, with an NPK of 5-5-5 is this sufficient.

Depends on the purpose of your fertilising, I guess.
Those values are certainly good for bonsai maintenance, but if you're growing something you're still styling you probably want something higher in N.

(same as Clicio over here, FWIW)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarul

• Page: