Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Unsure if under watering or something else 3 years 9 months ago #60815

• bruce-tree
  • bruce-tree's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3
Hello, I have a Japanese Elm and I can't quite seem to get the watering right. I've tried a few variations and the leaves seem to be getting browner and crispier.

About a month ago, I gave the tree a full soak watering, and it seemed to do it some good.

It has been quite windy the last few weeks and I have tried to up the watering (was getting drier quicker), but perhaps I'm watering too much now, not sure.

I always water it fully until it's really dripping out the bottom, and then I tilt the pot and drain any excess water.

I'm here to answer any questions, I have had the tree for about 3 years. It was fed in spring, a few slow release chicken pellets around the soil.

Thanks
Antony

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by bruce-tree.

Unsure if under watering or something else 3 years 9 months ago #60817

• crent89
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 230
where are you located whats your climate like (hot cold, frosty)? do not tilt the pot whatever water is left it will drain as long as you have good draining soil. you are on the right track as far as watering more when windy but simply need to keep an eye out on your soil and water when dry not to a schedule. are you getting dry hot winds?

Unsure if under watering or something else 3 years 9 months ago #60818

• m5eaygeoff
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
Chicken manure pellets are not a good choice, they are very harsh and can cause root damage. I doubt you are over watering in the heat we had a few weeks ago, more likely under watering. I looks quite a nice tree, and does not look too bad, I am watering at least once a day, and you must remember that just because it rains does not mean the trees get enough water. Unless it rains heavily and most of the day I will water regardless, once it has stopped that is. Looking at the leaves it is classic sun or wind damage caused usually by lack of water. It looks like a very free draining soil too which makes sense that it not getting enough water when it is needed. It looks as if there are other plants, are they doing as well?

Unsure if under watering or something else 3 years 9 months ago #60822

• bruce-tree
I'm not too concerned about the pellets as I only use 4 or 5 max, spread evenly around the soil once a year. They were also recommended by the nursery that re-potted the tree 2 years ago (and provided the soil mix). I take your point though.

My other trees are all doing fine. All have lots of green and not many brown/dry leaves at all.

The soil is very free draining.

These trees are actually on a balcony and do not receive hardly any rainwater (see attachment).

I will try and increase the watering and not let it get too dry in between.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Unsure if under watering or something else 3 years 9 months ago #60823

• crent89
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 230
i believe geoff is correct. after looking at your other trees especially the maple it looks like the soil is just getting to dry and you are getting leaf scorch from heat or winds. keep up on the watering and that should help.

Unsure if under watering or something else 3 years 9 months ago #60824

• bruce-tree
Great. Thank you.

Are there any tell-tale signs of over-watering I should look out for, in case I do water more often than I should..?

Unsure if under watering or something else 3 years 9 months ago #60825

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

I doubt you are over watering in the heat we had a few weeks ago

A point: different places have different weather. A few weeks ago here it was 95F/35C. I got a picture from my brother in Colorado of snow falling. A few years ago we were in Scotland with highs of 5C and drove to Windsor with lows of 20C the next day. And, of course, half the world is in the southern hemisphere.

• Page: