Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Ficus Watering During Vacation 3 years 8 months ago #62067

• Ed_Inc
  • Ed_Inc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
So I've got a lovely Ficus that is doing amazingly the last month. It's had a second wave of growth this year and there are new leaves and shoots all over. It stays outside all the time at the moment (although I brought it in briefly when we had the heatwave and some leaves started to yellow), and I am in England.

I am going on holiday for 6 days, and have no-one able to water it. It's due to rain all day on Wednesday, which means it has to go Thursday-Monday with no direct watering. I've got some ideas about what to do with it, however have some concerns about all of them.

1) Leave the pot outside but in a big tray of water, with the water a bit below the top of the pot. My main concern is breathability of the roots if the bottom air holes are submerged. Bonus of this is it can get a good watering on the Wednesday when it's due to rain all day.

2) Leave the pot outside but underneath a large awning, that has a pool of rain water in it that drips. Benefit is the roots would have more air, but the bonsai wouldn't get rained on. The dripping is also sporadic but there is always a little wet patch underneath it so it would get some water at least. There is also risk that the wind is strong enough to blow the awning to shift the water, leaving no dripping and no chance of it being rained on.

3) Leave it inside with good amounts of sun, give it a heavy water and put the pot in a plastic bag and tie it off around the trunk. I think this would be okay for water, but my main concern is leaving it indoors, it's been doing really well outside, and before I took it outside it was starting to struggle.

This is my first time going away with a precious bonsai at home, so some advice would be really appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ficus Watering During Vacation 3 years 8 months ago #62068

• Ed_Inc
  • Ed_Inc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Here's a picture of my boy, and of the dripping water I could potentially use! (Ringed in red)

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Ficus Watering During Vacation 3 years 8 months ago #62071

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
Welcome to the wonderful world of vacation plant care.

Most of us have stories about losing a tree or two to vacation watering issues. Or, in my case losing one or two dozen.

Find a reliable parent with a teenager who wants some money. Talk with the reliable parent and the teenager, discuss pay, and hope that the reliable parent makes sure the teenager will do the job. After you get back you can discuss with the parent if the kid would be the one to get next time.

Ficus Watering During Vacation 3 years 8 months ago #62074

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

I am going on holiday for 6 days...
This is my first time going away with a precious bonsai at home, so some advice would be really appreciated!

1-) Don't go.

2-) I guess the "dripping under a large awning" option is possible, but not reliable at all.

3-) As already said, pay someone to water your bonsai while you are away. Teach this person before you go.

Ficus Watering During Vacation 3 years 8 months ago #62077

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Secret option nr 4. Find someone with bonsai, befriend them and ask them to help out.

(I was away 5 days with a heatwave hitting last week. The friend came to my place twice a day to water!)

Ficus Watering During Vacation 3 years 8 months ago #62078

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

(I was away 5 days with a heatwave hitting last week. The friend came to my place twice a day to water!)

REALLY a good friend.
And it wasn't me!
;)

Ficus Watering During Vacation 3 years 8 months ago #62081

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Yeah.. I think it helped that I watered his trees a few weeks ago. He asked me for 3 days, and stayed away 5. So I guess I now have someone nearby for mutual watering support :)

Ficus Watering During Vacation 3 years 8 months ago #62086

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352
I put all my trees in more shaded spot and ask my senior neighbours to water once a day. Has worked Good 3 summers.

• Page: