Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Ming Aralia caring 3 years 3 months ago #64591

• shiaisu
  • shiaisu's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Dear ALL, I am a new comer (central-south Texas, USDA zone 8B) of the bonsai world, with a recently acquired dwarf Ming Aralia plant 10 days ago. In on-line reading, I learn that Ming Aralia is a true tropical plant, widely popular in warm Asia area. It loves warm moist air. My region is drier than some of the southern Asia region, especially in the winter.

The plant arrived in well packaged box. Upon opening I noticed some leaves in the center turned black and dry. Checking with the vendor said the plant should primarily be in outdoors but should be kept at 60F or warmer at all time; plant shedding leaf during transport is common.

I have moved the plant outdoors when it is warmer than 60F, and moved it indoor when it cools down at late afternoon. But watering and other caring tips remain a challenge. I measured that it loses about 1.6 oz of water in 22 hours, after I watered it.

So, my questions are:
1. How can I tell the plant needs watering? The pot has pebbles, it will be easily disturbed by fingers. Can I use leaf change to decide its condition? How long should I run the water (most water seems to drain out)?
2. Will the lost canopy grow back in time? If yes, when? It seems the leaf loss stops or slows down in these few days.
3. When should I start fertilize it? and the NPK, amount and intervals?

Sorry for the long message, as I try to be descriptive of the plant situation. I will appreciate your helps.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: