Baobab Care

• Ivan Mann
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Baobab Care was created by Ivan Mann

Posted 3 years 3 months ago #65195
The care guide for baobab says water once a month. In fact, a half a dozen bonsai websites say the same thing.

I can believe that for outside trees in the ground, but does anybody not water a tree for a month?

Outside here in the summer it might rain every day for a month or more and my baobab seems to do fine. Then when it doesn't rain I water it every other day and it seems to do fine.

Summer here means temps over 35C/90F from July to September, humidity usually over 80% and mostly over 90%. In August often I water the other trees twice a day.
by Ivan Mann

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JCVBonsai
  • Thanks received: 4

Replied by JCVBonsai on topic Baobab Care

Posted 3 years 2 months ago #66255
In Summer I water mine every second day if it rains I leave it outside I have had mine for many years without any problems, of course also depends on soil one uses its got to be quick draining like a river sand type soil, on mine I use Akadama and Pumice mix and also use Leca works well.
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
by JCVBonsai

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Ivan Mann
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic Baobab Care

Posted 3 years 2 months ago #66258
Good trees.

That is pretty much what I have done with mine.

What is your climate like? July to September temps here can go up to 100F/38C. Some years little or no rain, so I water most trees every day.

The baobab appears to do well in the summer. In the winter it comes indoors, drops all its leaves and goes dormant until it can go outdoors and play.
by Ivan Mann

• JCVBonsai
  • Thanks received: 4

Replied by JCVBonsai on topic Baobab Care

Posted 3 years 2 months ago #66264
Hi Ivan

Our Summer temperature goes up to 32C we have a long summer and 90 % of the time it’s sunny this year it’s out of the ordinary we have had lots of rain but normally we will have a sunny day and in the afternoon it rains then sunny again . Normally my Baobabs leaves start turning Yellow towards the end of March that’s when I stop watering and in April I put them away when they are completely dry and in Aug I’ll take them out again because starts getting warm again . Our real winter it’s between June and July in Aug it’s windy and Sept we already get hot days.
by JCVBonsai