Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

pruning/wiring/watering/fertilizing of infant juniper wintering in MN garage? 3 years 2 months ago #65547

• stfchavez
  • stfchavez's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
received infant juniper, about the size of opened adult human hand, as Christmas gift; now sitting in MN unheated garage on Ground Hog Day. Should I proceed to prune, wire, water & fertilize it now or wait? if wait, til wen? Thanks in advance for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

pruning/wiring/watering/fertilizing of infant juniper wintering in MN garage? 3 years 2 months ago #65549

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352
Water when needed. Put it outside in spring and start fertilize. The next spring when you know how to take care for the tree and have a vision for it you can start pruning and wiering.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stfchavez

pruning/wiring/watering/fertilizing of infant juniper wintering in MN garage? 3 years 2 months ago #65551

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
What is winter like where you are? Juniper in general can stay outside in all but the harshest winter. Mine do not even leave the benches and stay in the same place yearround

pruning/wiring/watering/fertilizing of infant juniper wintering in MN garage? 3 years 2 months ago #65561

• stfchavez
  • stfchavez's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
thanks for your response. winter here can be brutal at times but this year has been relatively mild so far. artic air arriving soon w weather forecast next few days w hi on Sun of -2F. I prefer to leave infant juniper outside as its planted kin exist but it is potted in small round pot & I'm wondering about roots freezing because not buried in ground. similar concern about appropriate approach to watering it til spring thaw arrives.

• Page: