Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Basic drip system 3 years 1 month ago #65948

• nickname
  • nickname's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi, I'm looking to put together a basic drip system for my trees. Short story is that I'm often away for a few days and need some automation at times. Here's what I'm looking for:
  • Have a water container/bucket (not connected to a hose/spigot, that's not possible here).
  • Between the trees (only a few of them) and the bucket would be a pump with a timer to pump water from the bucket/container through the drip system. The tubing would run from the bucket through the pump and to the drip heads and run once per day unless it's super hot out and they require more water
  • I'd prefer the drip system to be simple tubing and allow me to make a circular series of drip heads around the base of each tree, and continue to the next tree and so on. I'd also prefer not to use drip heads that have stakes.

I guess the main thing I'm looking for is the timer/pump since I've never owned or used one. Bonus if it's got a solar attachment for power. Ideally it would pump out X amount of water when I set it to do so at a specific time. I think the heads and tubing should be easy enough to find but I'd appreciate any suggestions from people with experience.

Thanks so much!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Basic drip system 3 years 1 month ago #65951

• Nick Meusel
  • Thanks received: 19
Have you checked amazon, ebay and your local garden shop?

Basic drip system 3 years 1 month ago #65955

• nickname
  • nickname's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi Nick, thanks for the reply. Yes, I've done that but this being specific to bonsai, it's usually beneficial to go directly to a [bonsai] community specific forum where people have likely brainstormed, fine tuned and assembled exactly or almost exactly what I'm looking for with the help of other community members. There may be a one-product solution out there and if yes I haven't found it, but I'm also not convinced theres's not a better DIY one with different components I can put together.

Basic drip system 3 years 1 month ago #65960

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
I pushed an extension of my waterline / water pump to my bonsai area and connected a timer & gardena microsprayers to it.

A friend of mine uses a regular waterpump attached to a 2000l rain barrel (MASSIVE wooden barrel!) for irrigation. He realized it is not enough, and will replace his benches with 1cubic metre containers, connected, to provide water yearround.

• Page: