Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Finally fertilizing 2 years 6 months ago #72722

• Yaboi_Aaron
  • Yaboi_Aaron's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
I bought some unorganic liquid fert (NPK 4-3-9), and it says to shake up, then mix 15ml with 2l of water. Should i apply it any other way or is that good? Also how much should i apply?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Finally fertilizing 2 years 6 months ago #72724

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352
Using the directions given is a good start. After some experience with the product you can adjust as you which. If you are in the northern hemisphere now it is authum, the time of year we stop fertilize until spring.

Finally fertilizing 2 years 6 months ago #72727

• Yaboi_Aaron
  • Yaboi_Aaron's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2

Using the directions given is a good start. After some experience with the product you can adjust as you which. If you are in the northern hemisphere now it is authum, the time of year we stop fertilize until spring.

Alright. Thank you!

Finally fertilizing 2 years 6 months ago #72728

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

According to Bonsai Heresy, plants add nitrogen to leaves, etc., in early autumn and that means fertilizing with nitrogen at this time.

I am having a hard time adjusting preconceptions, but he has some botany to back up his claims, and he has some decently designed experiments.

Finally fertilizing 2 years 6 months ago #72730

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352

According to Bonsai Heresy, plants add nitrogen to leaves, etc., in early autumn and that means fertilizing with nitrogen at this time.

I am having a hard time adjusting preconceptions, but he has some botany to back up his claims, and he has some decently designed experiments.

I am not a plant physologist. However I find it odd that decidious trees are adding nitrogen to the leafs just before shedding them. Fallen leafs are considered low nitrogen compond for a compost. I would asume he was talking about evergreens and possibly specific species?

The general advice for preparing less hardy trees in my area is adding a shot of PK only fertilizer in athum to prepare for winter.

Last edit: Post by Tropfrog.

Finally fertilizing 2 years 6 months ago #72731

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Plants stock nutrients in fall. Not giving Nitrogen is not a great idea, even though many people in bonsai do it.

I keep fertilizing my regular organics until it is too cold for microorganisms to break down the fertillizer.

Finally fertilizing 2 years 6 months ago #72749

• chicagobonsaiboy
  • Thanks received: 4
I have to try and remember to fertilize the trees I keep indoors for the winter, especially my new Brazilian rain tree, but I think I will use the weakest amount on the bottle which is 1/4 teaspoon per gallon maybe once or twice a month. I use the Dyna-Grow bonsai pro fertilizer.

• Page: