Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Help with my Bonsai 1 year 8 months ago #77399

• AshleyB
  • AshleyB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I have a Elm bonsai. The leaves have been wiltering for a while, I thought I was doing everything right but it does not seem to be improving. I am soaking the roots in water for 5 minutes when the soil drys up. I also have this white "fluff" on the soil which I have read is harmless and comes when the soil is moist but it doesn't seem to go just multiply.

There are new buds growing on the trunk so I'm hoping its still ok

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by AshleyB.

Help with my Bonsai 1 year 8 months ago #77400

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
Hello and welcome

Your tree is inside, on a desk, where it will die ( there is no such thing as an indoor tree). Bring it outside, first in the shade, then gradually in full sun, water with a garden hose or watering can, like a shower untill water spills from the drainage hole underneath. Repeat when the soil feels slightly dry. DO NOT water on a schedule, and DO NOT soak the entire rootball.
It is not too late for this one ( contrary to hundreds of similar posts asking for help with a dead "indoor" tree), but bring it outdoors asap.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, Albas, Scimitarboy

Help with my Bonsai 1 year 8 months ago #77448

• AshleyB
Many thanks for your reply. I have moved it outside and will follow all that you said. How long do you think it will take to see a difference

Help with my Bonsai 1 year 8 months ago #77450

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352

Many thanks for your reply. I have moved it outside and will follow all that you said. How long do you think it will take to see a difference

It depends on many factors, such as vitality of the tree, soil, weather, climate, care etc. But chinese elms are quite fast in their reactions to change of environment. If you are in the northern hemisphere and it is summer now, I would not be supriced if it burst into growth within a month.

Help with my Bonsai 1 year 8 months ago #77462

• AshleyB
That's brilliant thank you very much for your help

Help with my Bonsai 1 year 7 months ago #77907

• PJ and Svech
Hi. I’m BRAND NEW to bonsai. My Mexican heather became dried out during a recent work trip. The tree is still alive - the branches are pliable - but all the leaves died. There is some new growth at the base of the trunk too - a good sign I hope. Should I leave it alone and hope new leaves will grow? Should I prune the branches to encourage growth? Other options? Thanks!

Help with my Bonsai 1 year 7 months ago #77908

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Pruning branches do not encourage growth on an unhealthy tree. You need to focus on correct environment and watering. It may take a long time to recover. Not days, not weeks, not months but a year or two.

That is my reflections on vague information and lack of photos. If you tell more about the tree and provide photos maybe someone have better input?

What is the growing conditions? Where are you located? How long have you had the tree?

Help with my Bonsai 1 year 7 months ago #77909

• PJ and Svech
Had the tree for a couple of weeks. It is outside on a covered porch. Watering according to the instructions of the nursery. Thanks for the help

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Help with my Bonsai 1 year 7 months ago #77910

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
That tree looks very bad indeed. Mexican heather is an evergreen. It may recover in good care but the chanse is very low and it will take a very long time.

You did not tellus where you are. But if you are in the northern hemisphere we are now approaching athum and winter. The part of the year when it is hard to provide good growing conditions for tropical trees. Good health in summer is necessary for successful overwintering.

You did not provide information about how you water the tree. What is the instructions provided by the nurcery? I guess garden center/ plant retailer not nurcery?

Help with my Bonsai 1 year 7 months ago #77911

• PJ and Svech
They instructed me to keep the soil moist enough to there would be water in the tray below. As I mentioned in the original post it dried out while on a work trip. But I have taken steps to avoid that in the future. We are indeed in the norther hemisphere. Any advice on steps to take would be most appreciated. Some bonsai site suggest stripping all the dead leaves, some suggest cutting the tree back. I didn’t want to do anything without the input of an expert. I thank you in advance for your help.

• Page: