Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Yellow leaves 1 year 8 months ago #77560

• DanBonsai96
  • DanBonsai96's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello,

I am new to having a bonsai and have a small Carmona, I have noticed that the leaves are yellow and some of the little shoots are black and shriveled.

Could this be a poor light issue? Could you help me please.

Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Yellow leaves 1 year 8 months ago #77561

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357
Yellowing leafs can have several reasons. Not possible to guess based on the given information.

However I can tell you that carmona is a very sensitive tree. Most of them die within 6 months. Nobody here have been able to show a one year or more success in growing them.

Yellow leaves 1 year 8 months ago #77562

• DanBonsai96
Well I plan on being the first to show a years growth, what is a good tree to have that is easier to look after?

Yellow leaves 1 year 8 months ago #77563

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357
Amongst the species we normally see in garden centers as mass produced mallsais, I would say that chinese elm is the easiest one. But it needs to be grown outdoors. Most of us grow outdoors and bonsai is traditionally an outdoor hobby.

If you for any reason just cannot accept that bonsai should be done outdoors and want to grow indoors go for jade trees. Portulacaria afra or crassula ovata.

Good luck with your fukien. I have a hunch based on the original of this species that high humidity may be an important key to success. Somehow based on experience, I think that lower temperature during winter may compensate the lack of light. Both parameters hard to fulfill in living room conditions.

Yellow leaves 1 year 8 months ago #77564

• DanBonsai96
I do plan on when I move out and have my own garden to do more out door bonsai growing. I have wanted a bonsai tree for a long time.

Yellow leaves 1 year 8 months ago #77578

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Well I plan on being the first to show a years growth, what is a good tree to have that is easier to look after?

The usual starter tree is juniper, of several species, alway available at the local garden stores. Maples are also common.

The local stores will have species that fit your climate.

Another source is a local bonsai group. We usually have a spare beginner maple tree we force on people attending for the first time.

• Page: