Bonsai forum

Overwatered Chinese Elm

• Wickeegard
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Overwatered Chinese Elm was created by Wickeegard

Posted 1 year 7 months ago #77767
Hi All
Newto the forum and need help.. I have several outdoor Bonsais that are fine but my Chinese Elm indoor is not a happy chappy.. It would seem that through this really hot weather I have managed to overwater mine badly… It has been losing leaves fast but that seems to have almost stopped, but the tree is very bare not many leaves left.. I have moved it to the greenhouse and it dried out a lot now.. Thing is how do I treat it now.. Will it just die or will it come back.. I really really don’t want to lose it and any help will be fab.. Tia
Last Edit:1 year 7 months ago by Wickeegard
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Wickeegard.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1359

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Overwatered Chinese Elm

Posted 1 year 7 months ago #77768
Chinese elm is not an indoor tree.

Chinese elm is growing near streams in nature and very hard to overwater.

Did you use AC unit in your house during the heat wave? If yes, that is the reason for ill health.

We see soo many dieing chinese elms in this forum. So I decided to make a video answering all questions I see frequently.

by Tropfrog
The following user(s) said Thank You: C-J

• Wickeegard
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Wickeegard on topic Overwatered Chinese Elm

Posted 1 year 7 months ago #77772
Hi Tropfrog thanks for the reply. Well I am in UK where the Chinese Elm is sold as indoor.
So I kept it on a cool north facing window sill no direct sunlight but filtered along with a couple of other kinds which are doing fine.
I do not have AC so test isn’t a problem. Ian I. Zone 8 here in the uk.
At present it is in greenhouse adjusting to outside temps bi have it shaded from direct sun at present.
I hope I am doing the right thing.
Do you think it will revive is my question I suppose.
Should I put it outside once adjusted. Upset this has happened to be honest. I can get a pic if that would help. Thanks .
by Wickeegard

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 1 year 7 months ago #77774
Chinese elms are sold as indoor trees all over the world. But that is business not part of the art or hobby bonsai. I haven't seen one long term healthy indoor elm. UK is excellent climate for the elm, so keep it outdoors at all time.

As the name of my channel suggests I am in Sweden. Zone 7 to be more exact. I have not tried outdoors in winter, but in unheated greenhouse. Works perfect. Since you seems to have a greenhouse, I think that is your best option. But for now transfer to full sun outdoors. There are still 6-8 weeks growing season left. At first frost put it back in the greenhouse.

You are doing the transfer of the tree correct. It does not need aclimating to change in temperatures. But it will need slow adjustment to the increase in light.

Chinese elms are very strong trees and chance of recovery is good. You may not see much this season, but if you get your care right it will proboably burst into growth come spring.
by Tropfrog

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Overwatered Chinese Elm

Posted 1 year 7 months ago #77775
Chinese Elms are hardy, they are fine during the spring summer, but trying to keep them alive in winter is almost impossible. I have been there and killed them. North facing window is the worst anyway, no sun. Take it out of greenhouse too hot for it, put into semi shade for a while then out in the sun, and hope. Having said that I have a small Cotoneaster that was missed watering and went brown, I noticed today that it has green shots so it is still alive. Just keep it watered and hope.
by m5eaygeoff

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 1 year 7 months ago #77776

Chinese Elms are hardy, they are fine during the spring summer, but trying to keep them alive in winter is almost impossible.

I find chinese elms very easy to overwinter. 6 weeks below minus 10c was no problem. They are decidious, with a odd habit to keep the foliage all the way until late winter. Many people think that they have killed their tree when they shed all of it within a few weeks in february or march. But just waiting a few weeks and they sprout out like crazy.
by Tropfrog

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Overwatered Chinese Elm

Posted 1 year 7 months ago #77778
I agree, mine sometimes drop leaves early, but not always. The cork bark one drops in autumn
by m5eaygeoff