Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Juniper Bonsai Fertilizers 12 years 11 months ago #205

• skubicka2
  • skubicka2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi all,

I have a juniper bonsai that was on the verge of death recently but has slowly been doing better.

I was told to fertilize with Seasol but I can't find it anywhere!

k
Are there any other fertilizers that I can look into using for my tree? I'm looking for one that would be good year round for now until its back at 100% or close.

Thanks!

Sarah

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Juniper Bonsai Fertilizers 12 years 9 months ago #280

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Your local garden center could probably recommend a good one for your tree, or there are specialized fertilizers that you can buy off the internet. Good luck!

Re: Juniper Bonsai Fertilizers 12 years 9 months ago #313

• Oscar
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thanks received: 289
Did it work out? I Agree with BassandBonsai, there is no need to buy a specific fertilizer as long as its NPK values are balanced (and use the proper quantities; bonsai trees are small! :))

More: www.bonsaiempire.com/care/fertilizing

Re: Juniper Bonsai Fertilizers 12 years 9 months ago #319

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I don't have experience with junipers, although I've always wanted one. They're pretty hardy plants. However, I use a slow-release fertilizer and soil acidifier for my azaleas. I got them from the garden center at Meijer. I use about 1/4 the recommended dose twice as often as directed. With bonsai, with such small trees and such little soil, it's better to under-fertilize more often rather than over-fertilize not often enough, as this can burn your plant. Good luck rehabilitating your juniper!

Re: Juniper Bonsai Fertilizers 12 years 8 months ago #444

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi Sara,

I just bought my first Juniper Bonsai and I'm learning so much from this site. Be sure and read the link posted by Oscar...it's from the *care* section of the main site menu on "fertilizing". Note where is says not to fertilize a sick Bonsai.

I would luv to know how your juniper is managing and what you have been doing for it...hope all is well. :)

Leslie

Re: Juniper Bonsai Fertilizers 12 years 6 months ago #1851

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62

Hi Sara,

I just bought my first Juniper Bonsai and I'm learning so much from this site. Be sure and read the link posted by Oscar...it's from the *care* section of the main site menu on "fertilizing". Note where is says not to fertilize a sick Bonsai.

I would luv to know how your juniper is managing and what you have been doing for it...hope all is well. :)

Leslie

Leslie,
You've been holding out on us. Why haven't you posted a picture ?

Re: Juniper Bonsai Fertilizers 12 years 6 months ago #1859

• joncoh101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 3
I recommend using organic fertilisers, i use a product called bouceback neutrog.co.za/bounce-back ,although this in south africa, there should be similar products overseas. Its a slow releasing organic fertiliser that comes in dry pellets that you can just throw on your tree without worrying about over fertilising and burning roots. (Providing you are fertilising at the right time of year) Oh and this is a balanced fertiliser too!

Good luck!

Last edit: Post by Oscar.

Re: Juniper Bonsai Fertilizers 12 years 6 months ago #1872

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Lance,
Hahaha...that was two months ago and I ended up returning it because they had told me it was an indoor tree when, in fact, it wasn't. What a frustrating beginning to Bonsai *that* was! Alas...I am tied and bound to growing the indoor species...:P

Juniper Bonsai Fertilizers 10 years 11 months ago #8556

• Ramiro
I have not seen any recommendations on glucose.
I am starting fall now, but since most of you are starting spring, I strongly suggest you try watering the foliage with glucose once every 1 or two weeks.
I put 1 big spoon in 1 liter of water (heat the glucose a bit to disolve it easily).

This is ONLY for junnipers as far as I know, though I water my pines as well when I am at it, but the big difference is on junnis.
Specially after a transplant, if you are lucky enough, you can even avoid juvenile needles using this technique.

• Page: