Bonsai forum

Feeding before winter.

• Bamboo Mat
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3

Feeding before winter. was created by Bamboo Mat

Posted 1 year 5 months ago #78639
Hi all, just curious as I’ve stopped watering the couple of bonsai I have as were getting rain almost daily now and there quit damp.
I believe I watched a video or read somewhere it’s good to give one last feed before winter sets in properly so that the trees get a good feed ready for spring!

Or am I barking up the wrong bonsai? Leave it till spring/ summer?
by Bamboo Mat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic Feeding before winter.

Posted 1 year 5 months ago #78640

Hi all, just curious as I’ve stopped watering the couple of bonsai I have as were getting rain almost daily now and there quit damp.
I believe I watched a video or read somewhere it’s good to give one last feed before winter sets in properly so that the trees get a good feed ready for spring!

There are several opinions on this. Some are based on tradition and say don't feed once winter starts to arrive. Some are based on laboratory experiments which show that the trees pick up nitrogen all winter long.

People who follow both camps seem to have a lot of healthy trees, so I think the obvious conclusion is it doesn't matter that much.

I feed mine lightly during the winter - Biogold once a month or so. During the summer every week.

Take your pick.
by Ivan Mann

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1361

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Feeding before winter.

Posted 1 year 5 months ago #78641
At least in theory it can help developing trees. In refinement one don't want to add much fertilizer to decidious trees before leaf has bursted in spring. The early fertilizer risk to gro unproportal big leafs. In theory that is, I don't have any trees in refinment.
by Tropfrog

• GoncaloLopes
  • Thanks received: 2

Replied by GoncaloLopes on topic Feeding before winter.

Posted 1 year 1 month ago #79558
YES, you can fertilize before winter but not with a N fertilizer but with a P fertilizer, the greater amount of phosphorus will help the health of the roots and prepare for spring. Its done in fall.
by GoncaloLopes

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Feeding before winter.

Posted 1 year 1 month ago #79559

I fertilize quite heavy towards the end of summer. In spring I am often quite late with fertilizer.

by leatherback