Bonsai forum

When to begin feeding seedlings

• Pinecone
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

When to begin feeding seedlings was created by Pinecone

Posted 3 months 5 days ago #82341
I sprouted some lemon seeds from store lemons (nothing special, not Meyers) and now they are 6-10 inches tall.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

They will live in Central Florida, indoors, under plant lives their entire lives because I am an upstairs condo dweller. This is my very first foray into bonsai.

I am intending to begin shaping in spring of 2025, but wonder 1) when to begin feeding them, 2) with what (liquid? spike?), and 3) how often.

I cannot find this info anywhere with a general Google search -- all the answers are for established, outdoor trees.

My humble thanks.
by Pinecone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1363

Replied by Tropfrog on topic When to begin feeding seedlings

Posted 3 months 5 days ago #82342
I started a lemo tree from seed 4 years ago. It was anually up potted to slightly bigger pots. Last spring I did not up pot, but reduced size instead. It was also the first time I applied fertilizer. I used a few pearls of osmocote pro. I got quite a good growth response last summer. This year I will do the first proper repot but keep the size of pot that it is currently in. When doing reports I always add some osmocote pro in the mix.

I keep this tree outdoors in summer and protected from frost at 5 degrees in an overwintering room with full access to natural sunlight. When growing indoors with less access to natural light, the growth and demand for fertilizer is less.
Last Edit:3 months 5 days ago by Tropfrog
Last edit: 3 months 5 days ago by Tropfrog.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.