Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Osmocote question 10 years 11 months ago #8779

• floraAdore
  • floraAdore's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Morning all!!
I've always used super thrive so, it's what I had when this obsession began but, I've been informed many use osmocote. Looking today I saw osmocote for tree/shrub/conifers & another labeled flower & vegetable.
The tree version was 18-8-6 (if my memory serves me correctly :P ) the flower/veg was 14-14-14.

I have a Fukien tea, serissa & brush cherry . I've read trees that produce flowers & in f.tea's case fruits, need fert w/ high phos. I ended up buying 4.5oz of the flower/veg for $4.50 w/ the understanding I could return it w/in 30days.

The super thrive & mircle grow I have are both higher nitro than anything
Thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Osmocote question 10 years 11 months ago #8785

• Gnarlwood
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 21
Don't worry too much about the Phosphorus. Unlike Nitrogen which quickly leaches from the soil, Phosporus stays in the soil. Fertilizing to heavily with Phosphorus could lead to the soil becoming toxic.

I would advise using slow release fertilizers and checking the PH of you bonsai soil. Make sure the PH is in balance with your plants needs and then use a slow release complete fertilizer.

In conclusion, don't fertilize unless you have a reason. Then fertilize to treat the specific problem. If PH and soil nutrition are good don't worry.

Give you're plant some good TLC and you shouldn't have to fertilize very much.

Osmocote question 10 years 11 months ago #8786

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Odd advice. You will need to fertilize your bonsai every couple of weeks in the growing season. Not TLC will compensate for that.

Osmocote question 10 years 11 months ago #8788

• floraAdore
I was under the impression, b/c of the inorganic nature of most mediums, fertilizing is key (during growth periods)
But, what do I know!! I'm just a newbie!

How do I check the ph?

Osmocote question 10 years 11 months ago #8790

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

I was under the impression, b/c of the inorganic nature of most mediums, fertilizing is key (during growth periods)
But, what do I know!! I'm just a newbie!

How do I check the ph?

You are absolutely right. Checking the PH.. I do not know anyone doing this, and no-one at my club has even hinted at this. It is certainly not a commonly done thing, and not going to help you very much, as you will not know what causes the deviations in PH.

Don't worry too much about the exact fertilizer regime you use. A plant is going to use what it can. Just make sure your fertiliser also insluces trace-elements. High levelks of nitrogen may cause your plant to grow long shoots, with little structure & long internodes. I would prefer to keep N on the low side, if your tree is fairly mature.
The following user(s) said Thank You: floraAdore

Osmocote question 10 years 11 months ago #8792

• floraAdore
Suggestions on low nitro, higher phos fert?
My (willow leave ficus) is mature, has a lovely stout trunk & radial roots, also, the F.Tea is fairly mature; a coiled style & at 8" tall had mostly yellow leaves & although its older, no visible surface roots. It was on sale for $25 & I've since nursed her back to health. No more yellow leaves, & new growth is evident!!

The serissa & brush cherry are pre bonsai; a boxwood from nursery stock & a baby jade & a baby elephant bush. I take time to examine each everyday & have started taking notes on days I fert, days I prune/ pinch, effectiveness ( or lack of).

Wish I had a club nearby! I may join one in NH if they'll have me!

Osmocote question 10 years 11 months ago #8803

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
Or you could try this. It's all natural. it couldn't hurt. It looks pretty easy. I might try it this spring.
www.ehow.com/how_7698331_make-organic-bonsai-fertilizer.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: floraAdore

Osmocote question 10 years 11 months ago #8825

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
just to put in my 2 cents...in my expieriance osmacote works fine it is a slow release fert and i have had no problems with it ( my stuff was 10/10/10) i have learned my lesson with liquid miracle grow type ferts.they have a high urea content and too much can kill your tree. organic fertalizers are the best and safest. there are also liquid ferts that are specifically desined for bonsai that contain no urea and are used with every watering

Osmocote question 10 years 11 months ago #8839

• sikadelic
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 10

just to put in my 2 cents...in my expieriance osmacote works fine it is a slow release fert and i have had no problems with it ( my stuff was 10/10/10) i have learned my lesson with liquid miracle grow type ferts.they have a high urea content and too much can kill your tree. organic fertalizers are the best and safest. there are also liquid ferts that are specifically desined for bonsai that contain no urea and are used with every watering

Good info. I have been using a liquid fertilizer at 1/2 strength every other week. I think I will switch to organic when it runs out just to be on the safe side.

Osmocote question 10 years 11 months ago #8841

• floraAdore
Thank you Man-of-the-Trees! I have liquid miracle grow & had used it a few times at about 1/4 strength before buying the osmocote. I don't know about urea (well, I do know sorta) & will try & further educate myself.
W/ bonsai it seems 1 question inevitably leads to yet another!

• Page: