• Page:

TOPIC: Leaving for two weeks

Leaving for two weeks 4 years 8 months ago #10561

Well, this might sound awkward.
I´m leaving home for two weeks and I don´t have no one to take care of my trees while I´m gone and I´m trying to come up with a method that might keep my trees alive and I´ve thought of a dripping system that might keep them moisted meanwhile. So, here comes the awkwardness, I managed to acquired some saline solution with a dripping mechanism just like the ones doctors use with pacients. The thing is that this is a solution of 0.9% NaCl. Also the pH ranges from 4.5-7 and the amount of dissolved ions is of 154 mmol/l in both cases, sodium and chlorine. Now, the question is: Can I use this solution as watering substitute while I´m gone without killing any of my trees?
Thank you all in advance!
  • alainleon1983
  • alainleon1983's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 182

Leaving for two weeks 4 years 8 months ago #10568

I wouldn't use that - can you just drain & refill with plain water?

Dave
  • ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 72

Leaving for two weeks 4 years 8 months ago #10569

No way. Salt will kill. I assume they are outside? I am not sure where you are, but here at this time of the year I am not watering much. In fact my trees would last over a week without watering. If we have any rain then no need to water. You don't say when you are going however.
  • m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 317

Leaving for two weeks 4 years 8 months ago #10572

Well I could, yes and after reading your post I will. Thank you Ironhorse.
  • alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Leaving for two weeks 4 years 8 months ago #10573

Hi Geoff.
Well I won´t water my trees with this solution, that matter is settled. As for te position of my trees I´m still keeping my ficus within my house since temperatures at night, in Ciudad Real, might drop down to 5-8 degrees (Celsius), but I´m planning to take it out when April comes. And my Cryptomeria, the one I just repotted, I´m keeping it outside all day long. Oh, and the ficus is in front of a big window facing East.
And I´m leaving from April, 15th up to May, 2nd. I think that´s way to long time for my trees to endure it without suffering any harm. And rain, well, I wouldn´t count too much with it, since in Ciudad Real is a scarce resource for most of the year.
Thanks Geoff
  • alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Leaving for two weeks 4 years 8 months ago #10586

Understood, it is a bit of a problem. the indoor ones could be stood in a bowl with wet sand. The outside ones not sure what to do.
Could you have a bowl filled with water and a wick placed in the bowl and up to the top of the pot so that it syphons up to the soil.
The following user(s) said Thank You: alainleon1983
  • m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Leaving for two weeks 4 years 8 months ago #10589

The possible solution you provided me with, regarding wet sand for my ficus I´ll do it, together with the dripping system that I explained earlier, of course, using regular water ;) .
As for the one outdoors, I´ll try to do as you say... You sure that system might work? Anyways, until I might come up with any other system better than that, I think it is the best solution I´ve gotten so far.
Thank you so much Geoff!
  • alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Leaving for two weeks 4 years 8 months ago #10609

I know that it has been done. You could also wrap some sacking around the tree and soak it with water to keep the evaporation down, I have done this in a hot summer. Placing it in a shady spot also will help.
  • m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Leaving for two weeks 4 years 8 months ago #10612

I have used a sprinkler and a water timer that attaches to my hose. it was set to water for an hour every morning. this was mid summer though
  • manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 190

Leaving for two weeks 4 years 8 months ago #10616

Thanks manofthetrees. Interesting, but I live in an apartment and I don´t have much space, neither a timer to attach to my hose. That is without mentioning that I have my trees in the balcony and I don´t think my neighbor living beneath me would appreciate much the water falling down to his porch. Anyways I do appreciate your suggestion.
  • alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Page: