Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Fertilizing young elm? 9 years 8 months ago #11757

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
No I am in England. I think it would be better to leave it now. The problem with having evrything small and young is there is not much you can do when they are so small. I agree in 10 years they will be looking good, but that is a long time. I prefer to have material that is older and with a trunk, so that I have something to work on. I have bought material that has been in the ground for 20 years, there is no way I would want to wait for that long to have something to work on. You can of course do it both ways.
Geoff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fertilizing young elm? 9 years 8 months ago #11758

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
I like having Mamet or shohin bonsai as they usaully need 5 years for training and growing, of course depending on the style I choose, but mainly 5 years.

Fertilizing young elm? 9 years 8 months ago #11759

• JohnnieWbl
  • JohnnieWbl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
That seems nice! I'd like to grow some sort of apple tree shohin

I'd like to know more about spray-fertilizing (young) trees, but I think a new thread might be better since more people might be interested in it..

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by JohnnieWbl. Reason: Pictures doesn't seem to work in the post itself

Fertilizing young elm? 9 years 8 months ago #11762

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Look for a crab apple they grow fast and are easy to style and they will flower and fruit well. My crab holds the fruit right through the winter most years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rmullns

Fertilizing young elm? 9 years 8 months ago #11763

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
That is not good, the fruit is too big for the tree and it is poossible it will break the branch.

Fertilizing young elm? 9 years 8 months ago #11764

• JohnnieWbl
The size of the apple in contrast to the size of the tree is what makes the picture so fascinating, imho. Maybe you mistake "is not good" for "might be a challenge"? Sure there can be risks to it (thank you for pointing them out), but we can only learn by taking a risk now and then, can't we?

Fertilizing young elm? 9 years 8 months ago #11767

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Have you ever seen an apple tree with a fruit that is a metre across? That is the proportions. It is out of proportion with the tree which is why we use Crab Apple as the fruit size is in proportion with the tree. The amount of energy taken to sustain the fruit could also kill the tree. Without the fruit the tree is nice.

Fertilizing young elm? 9 years 8 months ago #11768

• JohnnieWbl
I know many people grow bonsai to create the illusion of reality, and want no distortions of that illusion. I can see the beauty in that, but I also like the little apple tree with the big apple.. :) Is that OK? If on this forum this opinion is not welcome please let me know, I'll keep my ideas to myself then..

Fertilizing young elm? 9 years 8 months ago #11769

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
You are entitied to your opinion, as I am to mine. As bonsai it does not look right. If the tree was a metre tall then the fruit would probably be in proportion. My concern is also for the health of the tree, if the fruit is left on it could kill the tree or at least weaken it greatly. I have seen Pomegramates with large fruit out of proportion, and they look odd. Fruit and flowers are often removed after a short time so that the tree can recover. I had cones on several of my Larch this year. I removed them so that it would not effect the tree.
I have to admit I have never seen an apple like yours in all the time I have been into bonsai, anywhere, in books magazines or nurseries or shows, so it could be quite unique. How long have you had it?

Fertilizing young elm? 9 years 8 months ago #11770

• JohnnieWbl
Wish it was mine.. :p I found in on the Dutch pages of Bonsai Empire: Apple Tree

If it's clear it's your opinion, that's ok. Claiming something "is wrong" doesn't sound like an opinion to me, though. Thanks for clearing it up.