Bonsai forum

Mouldy but dry soil? Please Help!

• Ghataora
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Ghataora on topic Mouldy but dry soil? Please Help!

Posted 8 years 9 months ago #16627
I don't get it either... Which is why I asked, Its confusing me.

I decided I would start watering it twice a week and eventually water it more or less depending on what it needed. The top of the soil always seemed very dry. I would poke my finger into the soil to check if it was too wet before watering again and it always felt dry.

When watering the tree I usually hold the pot under a running tap for a few seconds and let it drain and place the pot on a plate slightly tilted for a few hours before putting it back into the ceramic pot.

It does have drain holes. Maybe I'm just watering it too much when I do water it?
by Ghataora

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Mouldy but dry soil? Please Help!

Posted 8 years 9 months ago #16628

Ghataora wrote: Maybe I'm just watering it too much when I do water it?

It is not very likely that that is the problem. When I water my plants, I do it with a garden hose and they get loads of water. I use a quick draining soil, so excess water drains out. So, giving a lot of water should not cause problems - as long as the soil drains properly. However, to me it seems your soil is wetter, and stays wet longer, than you think. Touching the soil won't tell you much. You could use a chopstick and see if it comes out dry.

Springtails don't like dry soil, so again, that's an indication your soil stays wet. If it stays wet, even if you water only twice a week, to me it seems your soil mixture is the problem. Not sure though... where do you keep the tree? If it's in a cold, dark, spot, that could explain. It still doesn't look unhealthy. How long have you had it ?
by Auk

• Ghataora
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 8 years 9 months ago #16631
It lives on my windowsill and get a lot of sun coming in during the day. And I've had it since around the start of this month so not long at all.
by Ghataora

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 8 years 9 months ago #16633

Ghataora wrote: It lives on my windowsill and get a lot of sun coming in during the day. And I've had it since around the start of this month so not long at all.

I guess that's why it is still looking OK.
I'm going to change my mind again and recommend to repot it in a proper, free-draining bonsai soil.
by Auk

• ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 72

Replied by ironhorse on topic Mouldy but dry soil? Please Help!

Posted 8 years 9 months ago #16640
If it's any help - I repot Chinese Elms at any time of year and have had no problems at all.

Dave
by ironhorse

• Ghataora
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 8 years 9 months ago #16641
Thank you for all the advice! I will be repotting the bonsai. Im currently trying to find some online that is fast draining and so forth. And possibly buy a new pot too so i can remove it from the plastic pot that fits into the ceramic type one. Which is a shame as i love the ceramic pot but it doesn't have any drain holes :(
by Ghataora

• Ghataora
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 8 years 9 months ago #16647
When repotting would it be ideal to wash the soil off the roots? And hopefully get rid of some of the springtails?

How does one get rid of springtails anyhow? :blink:
by Ghataora

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 8 years 9 months ago #16649

Ghataora wrote: Thank you for all the advice! I will be repotting the bonsai. Im currently trying to find some online that is fast draining and so forth. And possibly buy a new pot too so i can remove it from the plastic pot that fits into the ceramic type one. Which is a shame as i love the ceramic pot but it doesn't have any drain holes :(

Well... that doesn't help. I specifically asked "Does the ceramic pot have a drainage hole ?" and you replied "It does have drain holes".

If you want correct advise, please give correct information.

[quopte]When repotting would it be ideal to wash the soil off the roots? And hopefully get rid of some of the springtails?[/quote]

Water thoroughly until water comes out of the drainage hole (which your current pot apparently doesn't have). Then let it dry, don't water again until the soil feels slightly dry, but don't let it dry out completely.

Springtails do not like dry soil, a proper watering regime will get rid of 'm.
Last Edit:8 years 9 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Auk.

• Ghataora
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 8 years 9 months ago #16651
Well... that doesn't help. I specifically asked "Does the ceramic pot have a drainage hole ?" and you replied "It does have drain holes".

If you want correct advise, please give correct information.

Sorry my bad, as I stated before the tree itself is in a plastic pot with drain holes. However the ceramic pot itself doesn't.

Which is why when I water the tree I leave it out of the pot for a few hours tilted on a plate so it drains as much as possible before going back in the ceramic pot.
by Ghataora

• ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 72

Replied by ironhorse on topic Mouldy but dry soil? Please Help!

Posted 8 years 9 months ago #16661
It's possible with care to drill drain holes in ceramics but you need a proper glass/ceramic drill bit and a slow drilling speed so as not to crack the pot. Those bits are available in sets from EBay and are not expensive - I have done a few myself but it can be a slow process.

Dave
by ironhorse