Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Beginner With Chinese Elm, Tap Water No No? 7 years 11 months ago #20586

• homi576
  • homi576's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello everyone

I have 9yr Chinese Elm and I am a beginner to everything bonsia, always wanted one now I have :cheer:. I have been doing a lot of research on how to care for it and I can across something about watering, it said tap water would be detrimental to the tree due to the chemicals and preservatives in the water. Is this true?

If so what can you recommend for watering, is there anything I can put in the water to remove the chemicals or a watering solution of some kind? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Beginner With Chinese Elm, Tap Water No No? 7 years 11 months ago #20587

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I have 9yr Chinese Elm
I have been doing a lot of research on how to care for it and I can across something about watering, it said tap water would be detrimental to the tree. Is this true?

Depends. I guess you should check your water supplier and find out what's in it. I use tap water for my indoor plants (no bonsai) and when necessary, when it doesn't rain, for my outdoor plants and bonsai. I've not noticed any negetive effects.

If so what can you recommend for watering, is there anything I can put in the water to remove the chemicals or a watering solution of some kind? Thanks

Can you collect rain water?

Beginner With Chinese Elm, Tap Water No No? 7 years 11 months ago #20591

• simplysaid
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 54
Personally... I read that azalea don't like hard water so I use filtered water from a brita water filter just for the azalea. I read online that you can filter water through a cotton sock with sand in in. Also... Letting tap water sit for a few hours, will allow the harder chemicals to sink to the bottom.

Beginner With Chinese Elm, Tap Water No No? 7 years 11 months ago #20593

• homi576

Can you collect rain water?

I live in wales so it rains all the time here so I should be able to collect some :)

Beginner With Chinese Elm, Tap Water No No? 7 years 11 months ago #20594

• homi576

Personally... I read that azalea don't like hard water so I use filtered water from a brita water filter just for the azalea. I read online that you can filter water through a cotton sock with sand in in. Also... Letting tap water sit for a few hours, will allow the harder chemicals to sink to the bottom.

Great tip with the soak will definitely try that, Yes for the moment I will have to let sit for a while and will try the soak and collect some rain water, thanks for the advice

Beginner With Chinese Elm, Tap Water No No? 7 years 11 months ago #20600

• m5eaygeoff
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
There is absolutely nothing wrong with your mains water. I use rain water, but after three days I have none left and I use a hose. Always have always will. Think of it this way, how does a bonsai nursery water several thousand trees? They use a hose.
I use the same for my Azaleas with not problem. I do add sequestered iron as well. Rain water depending on how it is collected can be diry and full of far more chemicals than mains water.

Beginner With Chinese Elm, Tap Water No No? 7 years 11 months ago #20602

• simplysaid
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 54

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your mains water. I use rain water, but after three days I have none left and I use a hose. Always have always will. Think of it this way, how does a bonsai nursery water several thousand trees? They use a hose.
I use the same for my Azaleas with not problem. I do add sequestered iron as well. Rain water depending on how it is collected can be diry and full of far more chemicals than mains water.

I'm glad you answered. I didn't realize homi576 was located in the UK. Where I live, the water had a tendency to be a little hard with deposits. I use tap water for my other trees because I have no hose yet. Have you posted a picture of your Azalea?

Beginner With Chinese Elm, Tap Water No No? 7 years 11 months ago #20604

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

I use filtered water from a brita water filter just for the azalea. I read online that you can filter water through a cotton sock with sand in in. Also... Letting tap water sit for a few hours, will allow the harder chemicals to sink to the bottom.

This is all nonsense. Sand does not filter calciumcabonates. And the do not sink to the water. Those fairy tales really need to stop going around.

Beginner With Chinese Elm, Tap Water No No? 7 years 11 months ago #20613

• Dominion
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 28
there are tablets to soften the water..

most dangerous about tap water is the calcium and chemicals..

if you water with tap water all the time, you'll see that the top of the soil and the base of the trunk will become white..

sometimes in hot summers, when i run out of rain water, i also use tap water..
but i always make sure that once i have rain water available again, i water a lot so all the chemicals etc drain out as much as possible..

Beginner With Chinese Elm, Tap Water No No? 7 years 11 months ago #20615

• m5eaygeoff
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
We have hard water but I have never had a calcium deposit on my trees. If the water is safe to drink then surely it is safe for plants!!!
I also use rain water when I can, but that is beause it is free, not because there is anything in the mains water that will harm my trees.