Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Bonsai Begginer Feeding 7 years 9 months ago #22976

• Paul_Stafford
  • Paul_Stafford's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi there,
I was given a Japanese Holly (Ilex Crenata) for my birthday and was trying information about feeding it.
I have some Pokon Bonsai plantfood (4+6+6)
I would like to use this and have being to try and find instructions on how to use it, but there's sketchy information.
Do I add it to the bowl of water I soak the bonsai in?
Kind regards and thankyou for any help.
Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bonsai Begginer Feeding 7 years 9 months ago #22977

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Welcome to the forum!

First off.. Do not soak your bonsai in a bowl. Just water it using a watering can or similar. You add the fertilizer to the water you water with. Look at the instructions on the package.

Bonsai Begginer Feeding 7 years 9 months ago #22978

• Paul_Stafford
  • Paul_Stafford's Avatar Topic Author
Hi,
Thankyou for the help. I was instructed by the shop to sit the tree in rain/bottled water up to the rim of the pot for at least ten minutes.
I don't want to kill it as my wife brought it for me, so i'll use a watering can instead and see how it goes.
Kind regards
Paul

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Bonsai Begginer Feeding 7 years 9 months ago #22982

• eangola
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 82

Hi,
Thankyou for the help. I was instructed by the shop to sit the tree in rain/bottled water up to the rim of the pot for at least ten minutes.
I don't want to kill it as my wife brought it for me, so i'll use a watering can instead and see how it goes.
Kind regards
Paul

Don't follow the advise the shop gave you, they don't know what they're talking about. And tap water is usually fine.

Bonsai Begginer Feeding 7 years 7 months ago #25799

• Swimmer
This forum was a great help when I was struggling with the watering procedure for my bonsai. Having managed to re-invigorate my tree (an indoor ficus) I have started to feed it. However, when I do feed it almost all the leaves drop off but then a new crop grows back. I was wondering if this is normal or am I shocking the tree some how. The feed I use came from a bonsai specific retailer so I assume I'm using the right stuff but wonder if perhaps I'm either not feeding it enough or mixing the feed too strong. My outdoor crab apple hasn't reacted in the same manner.

Bonsai Begginer Feeding 7 years 7 months ago #25801

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

This forum was a great help when I was struggling with the watering procedure for my bonsai. Having managed to re-invigorate my tree (an indoor ficus) I have started to feed it. However, when I do feed it almost all the leaves drop off but then a new crop grows back. I was wondering if this is normal or am I shocking the tree some how. The feed I use came from a bonsai specific retailer so I assume I'm using the right stuff but wonder if perhaps I'm either not feeding it enough or mixing the feed too strong. My outdoor crab apple hasn't reacted in the same manner.

to answer if you start a
Best to not hijack a threasd started by someone else. I'd be happy to answer, if you start a new thread for your question, or post it in the thread you had for your ficus.

• Page: