TOPIC:

bottled spring water good? 7 years 2 months ago #28979

• spacewood
  • spacewood's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 113
Hi all,

As you see im brand new member here, and I am really happy to have joined. Though, I will postpone my introduction for little later.

Let me get straight on the point now -

I am watering my indoor Ficus Microcarpa with bottled spring water for a month now. I do that approx 1 time a week. So far tree looks good and growing. Some leaves dropped, but got bunch of new greenies. Here in my country we have plenty of spring water as we have lots of mountains around. The bottled spring water I buy and use on the tree is very low on minerals - 98% demineralized by reverse osmosis. In addition, water is ozoned, and with overall pH of ~7.3. The water is 100% natural and free of chemical compounds and recommended for babies and pregnants. I decided to try this type of water as I dont think rain water in the city is ok and in the same time i want to avoid tap water as to provide best for my tree.

I really want to know what experts and others think on that type of water for bonsai?

Have anyone of you tried that? Are there pros and cons? Please let me know your thoughts, I am very curious.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

bottled spring water good? 7 years 2 months ago #28988

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I use whatever is at hand. At times tap water. My trees stand in the rain, so all winter they get rain. And I have a gardentap connected to a groundwater pump which I use in summer.

I would never buy bottled water. That is just a scam by big industry. Certainly in the Netherlands and Germany, where I live and work, there is absolutely no benefit to buying bottled water.

bottled spring water good? 7 years 2 months ago #29003

• spacewood
  • spacewood's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 113
Water comes with certficates issued by government and should be 100% proof. I also read reasearches on local spring waters and this one particularly is with very low mineralization below 50mg/l, hence a soft one. I think my microcarpa likes it but not sure on the actual benefits. I live in Bulgaria, by the way.

bottled spring water good? 7 years 1 month ago #29531

• Solaris
  • Thanks received: 16
The supposed advantages of bottled water over tap is marketing, not science. Demineralization may actually be harmful, as that water is leaching minerals from the soil on account of how diffusion works. If you don't believe me, look at the history of hydroponics.
Unless your tap water has some nasty chemistry, I wouldn't bother with the bottled stuff if I were you. There are more optimal choices to make with your money.

bottled spring water good? 7 years 1 month ago #29536

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

The supposed advantages of bottled water over tap is marketing, not science. Demineralization may actually be harmful

That's a myth. As soon as it touches the soil,it'sno longer demineralized.

bottled spring water good? 7 years 1 month ago #29537

• Solaris
  • Thanks received: 16

The supposed advantages of bottled water over tap is marketing, not science. Demineralization may actually be harmful

That's a myth. As soon as it touches the soil,it'sno longer demineralized.

Yes, because it's pulling them out of the soil. That's how chemical gradients work. The water is lower than the soil, a condition exacerbated by the distillation. It's basic chemistry.

bottled spring water good? 7 years 1 month ago #29545

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
As long as the water does not regularly drain from the pot, it makes no difference. It just dilutes the concentration of chemical in the soil (As you want, that is the aim of watering: Making sure the concentration is not too high for the roottips to extract nutrients). In any case.. Over time, salts in the water may build up in pots. However, as you repot your bonsai every few years in combination with flood-watering using a modern substrate, that normally is no issue.

I personally believe people overthink watering & fertilizing. Just because it is a bonsai does not mean you cannot water with the same water & fertilizer as other plants.

• Page: