• Page:

TOPIC:

Fertilizer Acer Palmatum 6 years 11 months ago #31122

• ykbonsai
  • ykbonsai's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 12
I need your help, recently i went to a garden space where they are selling a fertilizer with NPK (12,12,17) that i like it but my question is the micronutrients that appears too. They are (18SO3+2MgO+B) anyone know if that fertilizar is good for my Acer Palmatum ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fertilizer Acer Palmatum 6 years 11 months ago #31131

• ykbonsai
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
sorry the smile my mistake it is the letter B " ( 18SO3+2MgO+B ) "

Fertilizer Acer Palmatum 6 years 11 months ago #31136

• spacewood
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 113
Any plant fertilizer with balanced NPK will work. One for indoor decorative trees; non flower is ok choice. You can go with "bonsai" fertilizer just to be sure you use fine substance. Californian worm is another exotic bio fertilizer and many other, like sea weed etc.

www.bonsaiempire.com/basics/bonsai-care/fertilizing

Fertilizer Acer Palmatum 6 years 11 months ago #31137

• ykbonsai
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
yes i know but i am concerned with the micronutrients. the NPK dinamic i can understand, the 17 on K for me it´s better to establish the tree and make it stronger but the micronutrients its not my beach

Fertilizer Acer Palmatum 6 years 11 months ago #31138

• spacewood
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 113

yes i know but i am concerned with the micronutrients. the NPK dinamic i can understand, the 17 on K for me it´s better to establish the tree and make it stronger but the micronutrients its not my beach

Its a bit strong fertilizer, I dont think your tree need it. Micros are usually available in each fertilizer, dont expect something very unique or very "bonsai". There are certain elements that are common for all plants thus in each fertilizer.

Fertilizer Acer Palmatum 6 years 11 months ago #31140

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
I am not sure why there is sulfur in there. Is it specific purpose fertilizer?

To be honest, I try to mix fertilizer to get the trace elements covered. The macro nutrients are easy. Trace elemants can really get you into trouble. y mixing types, you get a more even diets if you will (Just like you do not eat pasta every day..)

Fertilizer Acer Palmatum 6 years 11 months ago #31143

• ykbonsai
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
it´s a universal fertilizer for "plants in vase, ornamentals and with flower, trees" thats the description. I am not sure too why there is sulfur there :huh:

Fertilizer Acer Palmatum 6 years 11 months ago #32009

• cjpa
  • Thanks received: 1
Hi,
"yes i know but i am concerned with the micronutrients."
Well, in fact you may not have to worry much about this subject ... But let's frame the situation:
The truth is that we can not talk about fertilizers without taking into account all other aspects, namely irrigation, soil composition, the purpose or stage of the tree, etc.
Having said this, trying to get to the point of concern and assuming that you use a suitable substrate, the most certain thing is that there are active microorganisms. It is these microorganisms that ultimately ensure that micronutrients exist.
Given this factor too, there are some people who do not use chemical or liquid fertilizers. One of the factors that leads to this is that we do a "washing the soil" by reducing the microorganisms present in our substrate that are so important.
In turn, biological fertilizers act to increase microbiological activity, in addition to all environmental issues.
I hope I have clarified it, so my advise: if you have a suitable substrate apply a fertilizer preferably solid and organic and will have all the issues of macronutrients, micronutrients and microrhizas covered.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ykbonsai

Fertilizer Acer Palmatum 6 years 11 months ago #32025

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Dear cjpa,

I think you are overthinkng. Using liquid 'chemical' fertilizer delivers the nutrients in the right for for direct uptake by the roots. That does not need.microbial conversion. And if you fertilize with complex organics, the.microbes will join by itself.

Fertilizer Acer Palmatum 6 years 11 months ago #32031

• cjpa
  • Thanks received: 1
Dear leatheback,
I must agree with you and explain myself better.
Using liquid fertilizer will deliver the macronutrients the tree needs. Won't argue with that, 100% true. The tree will live well and if the doses are adequate, that won't be any problem.

With that said, :P
Me, at least, do this as a hobby. What I enjoy about bonsai, besides all the aestetics, is to work my trees. To learn, experiment and in the end do the very best to my abilities and knowledge, that is the "perfection" I can achieve and gives me such delight to see all the green, flowering and fuits in perfect condition. A 200% healthy tree,
What I was trying to say before, that I probably didn't explain that well is that EVERY adequate fertilizer, with a proper balance of NPK, will work to keep a tree growing well. BUT, do you want perfection? If so, for so many reasons the only choice is: solid organic fertilizer apropriate FOR BONSAI. But, my friend, you are right, others will work.

p.s.: just one correction: "And if you fertilize with complex organics, the.microbes will join by itself."
Yes, and within those microorganisms you will have two "categories" the pathogenic and the non-pathogenic. - You will also have those even if you don't use solid organic fertilizer - And there lies the choice I make using the type of fertilizer I do. Because sometimes, the chemic fertilizer can kill the non-pathogenic microorganisms and the balance is lost, leading to possible healthy problems.
I can go with full detail into a tree feeding cycle and what is happening in a "tree's daily-routine" if you find that it will be useful.

Let me thank you very much for answering and help correcting my previous reply wich was not 100% correct.

Best wishes to you all.

• Page: