Bonsai forum

Using Bio gold original

• Granny
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Granny on topic Using Bio gold original

Posted 6 years 11 months ago #32425
I would like to purchase Bio Gold fertilizer..however I had some on order and it was cancelled. where do you buy yours?
by Granny

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Using Bio gold original

Posted 6 years 11 months ago #32427

Granny wrote: I would like to purchase Bio Gold fertilizer..however I had some on order and it was cancelled. where do you buy yours?

Last time that was at Bonsai nursery Deshima in Nieuwerkerk aan den IJssel.
by Auk

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 170

Replied by tubaboy on topic Using Bio gold original

Posted 6 years 11 months ago #32472
I got mine from the german amazon website... there are several sellers there. One of the courses on this website also gives an idea as a substitute for biogold, using teabags and some other substances...

I have no experience with them, so maybe some of the more expierenced growers can comment on this but here is one way to make fertalizer yourself:

homeguides.sfgate.com/fertilizer-balls-recipe-bonsai-48473.html
by tubaboy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

• keitaro
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2

Replied by keitaro on topic Using Bio gold original

Posted 6 years 11 months ago #32558

Auk wrote:

Clicio wrote: He wrote "... why many sites say don`t give feed/ fertilizer to certain fruit trees ...? "

Well, that's the problem. Which sites? What exactly are they saying? I looked up one site and gave an answer that does seem to make sense.

Fruit production requires regular fertilizing all year long. Monthly feeding is a good regime to maintain
So... As Leatherback said, apparently there is no reason to stop fertilizing them. (please correct me if my conclusion is wrong).

I don't see the point. We don't grow bonsai for their fruit.

well take for example the crab apple. taken right from this website.

Feeding: Depending on what you wish for; when you like the tree to grow fruits in autumn fertilizing should be minimal, especially after the blossoms in spring. For more vigorous growth fertilize the entire growth season, but bear in mind fruits will not develop.

now i have read this kind of info on various bonsai sites about various fruit bearing trees.

such as peach and plums.

Why would i want fruit? well my hime no ringo (princess apple) self pollinated this year.... or maybe but i doubt it the plum or peach next to it pollinated it.
anyway for this type of tree to display the mini apples is a nice look, different to the flowering season but miniature apples looks quite good on the tree.

many people display their bonsai's with limited fruit in key areas to give a certain look.

i have been feeding but i am not sure if the fruit will develop or not if i keep feeding it.
by keitaro

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Using Bio gold original

Posted 6 years 11 months ago #32563
In my personal view, fruit will develop no matter how much you fertilize. Getting flowers on fruit trees is as easy as getting flowers on cherrieblossoms. If insects are around to fertilize, the tree will get fruits. I fertilize my crabapples very heavily because they need years of development. An I need to go through the tree to remove flowers/fruits on branches I want to grow. The branches where I leave a few apples hardly growe at all.
In my garden, fruits come secondary to tree development. I will leave one or two on a tree just for the idea of it. But all others come off, untill I have a tree that is far enough to warrant a nice pot. So far, none of my crabapples is.
by leatherback

• keitaro
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2

Replied by keitaro on topic Using Bio gold original

Posted 6 years 11 months ago #32770
I didn`t prune my apple this year. mostly because the branch i wanted to grow was how i wanted it but now does not seem to be getting much growth. The smaller one on opposite side is getting a lot. The one i wanted is rather thick about half the trunks width and goes out almost straight i wanted to see if i could shape it nice but this year after flowering not much came up on it.

Not sure y i was thinking to cut of the new one but i hesitated and decide i`d let the fruit go and cut it off or use as a graft for lower down the tree in winter.
It was originally a fruit tree from a nursery so not intended to be a bonsai. but it was short with one medium size branch cut that looked like a few years of growth might make it un noticeable.

it`s second year for having it. and i heavily pruned it when i first bought it. It grew back blazing fast using just 1 or 2 biogold at a time. Evidently it may have grown better if i had put more like 15 in per month haha.

I added more last week so lets see how growth goes.
by keitaro