Bonsai forum

watering azalea

• maxi
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1

watering azalea was created by maxi

Posted 6 years 11 months ago #32783
How is the proper way to water azalea tree, to be always moist or to , keeping in mind that the soil, medium is akadama? For example Walter Pall is watering his azaleas every day from march to October, in he's blog Mr. Pall insist that when modern substraste is used, overwatering is impossible.
My practice with podocarpus, chinese elm and Ilex crenata are prooving the abovementioned method.
But for azaleas, here in forum, posted pics and asked for help for some issues with my azalea, members are using other technique - allow it to wilt.
by maxi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic watering azalea

Posted 6 years 11 months ago #32786
Watering of any tree should never be to a schedule. It is probable that during the summer most trees will need watering every day. However White Pines need to be a bit drier so I do not water them every day I usually wait another day or even more, I check first. Azaleas as I said previously do not like a lot of water, I allow mine to get to the point of almost wilting maybe once a week. This ensures that they do not stay too wet. I also have them under an open cover to keep rain off. I do not use Akadama for Azaleas mine are in Kanuma. Watering has many variables, it will depend on the species, size and depth of the pot, location, temperature, amount of sunshine and also rain. Although unless it is incessant I ignore the amount and water anyway. In the last week I have had to water most of my trees twice a day, due not to the temperature but it has been very windy and they were drying out very quickly.
by m5eaygeoff

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic watering azalea

Posted 6 years 11 months ago #32791

maxi wrote: How is the proper way to water azalea tree

I cannot speak for your azalea, I can only tell you about mine:
Most of my azaleas are in Kanuma.

I water when it is needed - and that is not very often at the moment, in the Netherlands, as we get enough rain almost every day.
When there is not enough rain, I water everything at once. All get more than enough water until water flows out of the drainage holes.
All my bonsai, pre-bonsai and pot-sticks are treated the same way.
by Auk

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic watering azalea

Posted 6 years 11 months ago #32795

Auk wrote: and that is not very often at the moment, in the Netherlands, as we get enough rain almost every day.

:S

Here we have not seen substantial rain for over a week. It is sooo dry that I watered on saturdayafternoon, and my beech were welting on sunday! www.hetweeractueel.nl/weer/losser/historie/2017/05/
by leatherback

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic watering azalea

Posted 6 years 11 months ago #32796

leatherback wrote: :S

Here we have not seen substantial rain for over a week. It is sooo dry that I watered on saturdayafternoon, and my beech were welting on sunday! www.hetweeractueel.nl/weer/losser/historie/2017/05/

Well... small country, but with regional differences. I have watered them yesterday, but only because I needed to fertilize. Today I am not watering them, the soil is still wet..
by Auk

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic watering azalea

Posted 6 years 11 months ago #32799
Interesting variation. We have not had much rain for over 6 weeks, and only in the last two days has my water butt filled since February.
The wind rather than heat has done the drying. I ignore rain unless it is a lot. I wait for it to stop before I water. I do get some strange looks!
by m5eaygeoff

• maxi
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1

Replied by maxi on topic watering azalea

Posted 6 years 11 months ago #32836
Ok, thank you for your shared experience.
by maxi