Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Miracle Gro 6 years 10 months ago #33048

• dvb
  • dvb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi!

Anyone uses Miracle Gro Water Soluble All Purpose Plant Food - NPK 24-8-16?

If so, what amount do you mix with water for bonsai trees?

The package has instructions with different concentrations, but for bonsai might be diferent from the ones provided.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Miracle Gro 6 years 10 months ago #33051

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
dvb wrote: "Anyone uses Miracle Gro Water Soluble All Purpose Plant Food - NPK 24-8-16?"

Nope, but I am looking for something high in N so I might go and get some :)

The package has instructions with different concentrations, but for bonsai might be diferent from the ones provided

Nope. The instructions are not different for bonsai, just follow the appropriate one (not sure what different instructions there are on the package)

Miracle Gro 6 years 10 months ago #33054

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 151
maybe go with tomato Miracle Gro it's like 18 18 21, much better balance, the one you ask about, does make leaves sprout, though, but trees need, so much more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

Miracle Gro 6 years 10 months ago #33470

• Stone80
  • Thanks received: 2
Yes, I use it. I go by the directions they have for my bonsai.

Miracle Gro 6 years 10 months ago #33488

• el_cheezer
  • Thanks received: 19
When I was using the Miracle Gro, I was using the All Purpose stuff, since it's way more balanced with all three. I got decent results, but decided to look for something better after going through a few boxes of the powdered stuff. I did notice that with liquid fertilizer, more of it ended up washing out with daily waterings, than if used something solid. After doing some research, I also learned that this is especially true if you are using soil components with low CEC.

Now, I make my own little fertilizer cakes using the Orlando Bonsai recipe. A quick google search will get you the link. After you have the ingredients, it takes a few minutes to make them, and an afternoon for them to be ready. I like using the cakes instead of the liquid, because I noticed that my trees did better with them, and I felt like I was wasting way less during the waterings. A big down side of the fertilizer cakes is the smell, but if you store them in a sealed tupperware or ziplock bag, you don't have to worry about it. Whenever I make them, I end up with a whole year's worth, too.

Best thing I can say is do the research and find what works best for you and your trees.

• Page: