Bonsai forum

Forysthia beginings

• el_cheezer
  • Thanks received: 19

Replied by el_cheezer on topic Forysthia beginings

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #21723
Like I said, I used the slang for sucker, not the term for growth from a root.

And I was only advising him to keep watch over it, since I've personally had one create reverse taper on my own tree.
Last Edit:7 years 11 months ago by el_cheezer
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by el_cheezer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• eangola
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 82

Replied by eangola on topic Forysthia beginings

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #21725

el_cheezer wrote: Like I said, I used the slang for sucker, not the term for growth from a root.

And I was only advising him to keep watch over it, since I've personally had one create reverse taper on my own tree.

I am growing it as a sacrifice branch, goal is to thicken the lower part of the trunk to create better taper. This tree back-buds a lot too, so I will probably do some other sacrifice branches at higher spots than this, slowly to improve taper at higher points as well.

So main goals are:

- Secondary branches
- Improve taper
- watch for suckers (which hasn't been a problem yet)

it grows fast, real fast... pictures coming soon :).
by eangola
The following user(s) said Thank You: el_cheezer

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Forysthia beginings

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #21729

eangola wrote: It is a branch, not a sucker. The branch is exactly located where it seems to be at the picture. I left it as a "sacrifice branch" but it seems to be a bit to close to the bottom, and it might not be very helpful to help me with taper. What do you think Auk? should I leave it? cut it?

No comments. I think you already figured it out and your plans (including leaving it) make sense.
Last Edit:7 years 11 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Auk.

• eangola
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #22079
Update:
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This picture is from last weekend
Growing healthy. I read that for forsythia branches should let grow wild until they reach their desired thickness, then cut back to desired length. When I bought this shrub it was very tall, with a lot of foliage and branches at the top. Luckily forsythia back-buds easily as we can see, and my goal is to get most of the foliage about 1/3 up the trunk, so those branches will be thicker and denser than those at the top. Tree is doing great :)
by eangola

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Forysthia beginings

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #22106
Be carefull with your approach. Forsythia will not heal over cut marks. So it you let it grow thick, you will alays keep the mark there. I think I would approach a more of a cut-and-grow approach, not letting branches get too fat
by leatherback

• eangola
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #22151

leatherback wrote: Be carefull with your approach. Forsythia will not heal over cut marks. So it you let it grow thick, you will alays keep the mark there. I think I would approach a more of a cut-and-grow approach, not letting branches get too fat

Thank you leatherback.
There's a guide on forsythia bonsai by steven alford that statesthat "you should let the branches grow wild until the base takes the desired thickness, then cut back to 2 or 3 nodes, then let the final branch grow and pinch to create ramification". Is this what you mean by "cut and grow"? thank you!

Another problem I see is that I can't do this with sacrifice branches, like the long one thickening the base of the trunk. If this branch gets too thick it will be a problem. Should I cut it before it gets too thick?. Thank you for your time.
Last Edit:7 years 11 months ago by eangola
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by eangola.

• brkirkland22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 128

Replied by brkirkland22 on topic Forysthia beginings

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #22159

eangola wrote: Another problem I see is that I can't do this with sacrifice branches, like the long one thickening the base of the trunk. If this branch gets too thick it will be a problem. Should I cut it before it gets too thick?. Thank you for your time.

It looks like you've got a nub at the base, just near that sacrificial. I'd cut that before I cut the live one. The proximity of the live one may help the whatever callus/healing process you may get out of it. I still wouldn't leave it on too long; it's about as thick as I'd go. I'd cut it by end of season.
Since you've been doing research on it, I'm sure you're aware: forsythia sends out suckers & buds no problem. They're just prolific around my area. You'll probably have several shoots over the coming years that will help thicken the base up. Let them grow for a season or two, then cut back.
You've already got several around the upper right knob, especially in the crotch area. I'd pinch several of those out or you'll have a big reverse taper there.
by brkirkland22

• eangola
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #22161

brkirkland22 wrote:

eangola wrote: Another problem I see is that I can't do this with sacrifice branches, like the long one thickening the base of the trunk. If this branch gets too thick it will be a problem. Should I cut it before it gets too thick?. Thank you for your time.

It looks like you've got a nub at the base, just near that sacrificial. I'd cut that before I cut the live one. The proximity of the live one may help the whatever callus/healing process you may get out of it. I still wouldn't leave it on too long; it's about as thick as I'd go. I'd cut it by end of season.
Since you've been doing research on it, I'm sure you're aware: forsythia sends out suckers & buds no problem. They're just prolific around my area. You'll probably have several shoots over the coming years that will help thicken the base up. Let them grow for a season or two, then cut back.
You've already got several around the upper right knob, especially in the crotch area. I'd pinch several of those out or you'll have a big reverse taper there.

Thank you!
upper right knob you mean by the end of the tree right? Yeah I removed some of those about 2 days ago. I won't let those grow thick as it should be close to the apex, does that make sense at all?
Last Edit:7 years 11 months ago by eangola
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by eangola.
The following user(s) said Thank You: brkirkland22

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Forysthia beginings

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #22170
I would proably work with several sacrifice branches and remove them before they get too thick, say once every 2 yrs or so. .
by leatherback

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 151

Replied by Samantha on topic Forysthia beginings

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #22176

leatherback wrote: I would proably work with several sacrifice branches and remove them before they get too thick, say once every 2 yrs or so. .

They grow a lot faster than that, Well just keep a close eye on it,.
by Samantha