Bonsai forum

Introduce yourself!

• BonsaiLearner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 101

Replied by BonsaiLearner on topic Introduce yourself!

Posted 8 years 8 months ago #16676
Well I guess hardly anyone will read this seeing as it's at the bottom of page 22, but I am Edward from the UK. I'm 15 next month and I've been actively growing bonsai for just under a year now. As this would suggest I got my first two bonsai on my birthday last year. One a really nice elm from a nursery, one a ficus from IKEA. In our recent heat wave, their soil got dried out and so the life of my first bonsai was taken. And, seeing as fate has a sense of humor, it was the ficus that survived.

Of course I am still learning, as could be said with anyone, but I prefer to think of myself as year-old greenwood rather than fresh softwood.

I don't know, I tried making a pun.

I mostly try to turn garden centre plants into vaguely bonsai-looking messes but I also grow many from seed.
I currently have 1 stupid ficus, 1 hebe, 1 pomegranate seedling, 15 or so pine seeds(mixed variety) 3 maple saplings (not sure what variety) and anything I can find in my garden.

My nearest bonsai nursery is a couple of hours away, so I really never get to go there, but I have a garden centre nearby that is run by a friends dad who started to sell tools, pots, books, etc as well as a few exclusively-tropical bonsai

I have just realised how much I have written so I will stop now.

sorry for the English spelling of a few words, I'm very stubborn

Ed
by BonsaiLearner
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldTurtle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Introduce yourself!

Posted 8 years 8 months ago #16678
Hey Ed,

Welcome here. Sounds like you are having fun, which is the basis for a good hobby, I would say. No worries about spelling here. Many here are not even native speakers, and won't know US from british spelling :)

If you want to take a plunch and grow into the next phase, join a club. That will provide a solid knowledge base, but also a steady influx of decent trees to work on. Then you can give the silly ficus to your mom ;)

Where in the UK are you roughly? In October this year a very big bonsai exhibition will take place in Bury. Some of the best trees in Europe will be there, together with a whole bunch of relatively young guys doing bonsai (Some of the artists performing there are in their 20-ies). It will be a great weekend. Look up bonsai europa.
by leatherback

• BonsaiLearner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 101

Replied by BonsaiLearner on topic Introduce yourself!

Posted 8 years 8 months ago #16680
I think I've heard of that one (with the bonsai beer?) I will definitely think about it, if I can persuade my dad.

I have looked up bonsai clubs near me (Rutland(if you have any idea where that is)) but, according to this website, the closest is over 40 mins away and I don't think anyone in my family will want to drive me...
I will try to arrange transport to Bury, but I think that my main argument will be the one-of-a-kind beer rather than the actual trees. ;)
(remember; don't drink and drive)

Thanks for the quick response as well as the tips, I've also seen you being a great help to many other people and I want to congratulate you for this.

Ed
by BonsaiLearner
The following user(s) said Thank You: leatherback

• OldTurtle
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by OldTurtle on topic Introduce yourself!

Posted 8 years 7 months ago #17000
Hi.Long ago I started learning from a very kind and patient gentleman from Phipps Conservatory in Pittsburgh PA. He is the one who created so many of the Bonsai seen there. Decades have passed and I still consider myself a freshman student. I hope to learn and listen more than I speak.
by OldTurtle

• OldTurtle

Replied by OldTurtle on topic Introduce yourself!

Posted 8 years 7 months ago #17001
Speaking the Queen's English is something to be proud of. At 15, you have some time to grow beautiful Bonsai. It is heartening to see younger people do what you do.
by OldTurtle

• Mimo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 927

Replied by Mimo on topic Introduce yourself!

Posted 8 years 5 months ago #17584
Hi everybody, I am Mimo from Slovakia, I fell in love with bonsai and penjing in march 2015 and now I started my own blog to document progress of my penjings and bonsai trees.
I would like to promote beautiful slovakian nature and landscapes as well.
And I will post pics of the trees from bonsai shows I went to.
Everybody´s welcome to drop by :)
There are lots of bonsai blogs, so instead of posting bonsai basics and techniques, I will focus mostly on studying of aesthetics, and let you know about my successes and failures.
mimospenjingheaven.blogspot.fr/
by Mimo

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Introduce yourself!

Posted 8 years 5 months ago #17585
Have you looked on the FOBBS web site? You may find clubs near you there. Also bonsa4me.com is a great site for species guides and several very good books, and it is English.
Where do you live?
Geoff
by m5eaygeoff
The following user(s) said Thank You: b.sless

• Mimo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 927

Replied by Mimo on topic Introduce yourself!

Posted 8 years 5 months ago #17589
Hey man it´s right there - Slovakia.
And i often visit those pages :)
by Mimo

• b.sless

Replied by b.sless on topic Introduce yourself!

Posted 8 years 5 months ago #17622
Hi Everyone, I am Britany. I am 25 and live in the United States (NC). I know nothing about Bonsai - really. I want say about 3-4 years ago I saw a little tree and was just in awe - I had no idea it was a bonsai. I finally figured out what they were when I decided to read the tag on the little tree at Walmart. Lol. For the last 6 or so months I've been looking for one. They have them here at Walmart but I never could bring myself to buy one without knowing how well they were taken care of. So during the BBQ Festival I found a booth and decided to purchase one. The little bonsai I have is a Juniper. That is all I know - and he sets in a little blue pot. Now doing research and finding out that it should be outside majority of the time I am heartbroken because I wanted an inside one. :( But, I am going to do the best with what I have and just take some baby steps - let it be a learning lesson. So any tips or advice I would every so greatly appreciate!! :woohoo: :woohoo: I will have to add a photo when I am not at work. :whistle:
by b.sless

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Introduce yourself!

Posted 8 years 5 months ago #17623

b.sless wrote: Hi Everyone, I am Britany. I am 25 and live in the United States (NC). I know nothing about Bonsai - really. I want say about 3-4 years ago I saw a little tree and was just in awe - I had no idea it was a bonsai. I finally figured out what they were when I decided to read the tag on the little tree at Walmart.

You were in awe because of a mallsai at Wallmart? I wonder what happens when you see a real bonsai...
by Auk