• Page:

TOPIC:

Mallsai excercise 5 years 10 months ago #39997

• Felidae
  • Felidae's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 236
/Sorry for everyone if I’m a bit “Too much”in the forum. I’m in the beginning of my learning phase, which means 28h/24h I just reading, brainstorming, researching everything about Bonsai, observing big trees and shopping some inexpensive stuff to excercise.Why I posting? I don’t like social media, and have 0 friends who interested in Bonsai. Simply I need to tell someone (everyone?) my “happenings”... :dry: /

So.. Today I bought this. It was reduced from CHF 49,- to 10,-. Far from Bonsai, but the price tag is far from bonsai also. The price drop cause they’re dancing between life and death. Besides those, I saw just the regular S type and ficusginsengmonster here. My main goal to nurse those trees back to health in one year.

Podocarpus macrophyllus group right from the shop:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The trees almost falling out alone from the soil. Half of the roots was rotten, and I can see clearly 3 different soil type: closest to the base some kind of clay, bit further pure sand and where they potted was just general potting soil mixed with a small quantity of sand.

Before and after root washing:

In 2 trees I can see new root growth, but not too vigorously.

Here some dieback. I observed in every tree in various stages.

And there the repotted plants. I try to encourage the root growth now, even if they’ll grow downwards. So unbonsaish..

This one is my favorite from that 4:

I didn’t do else, just repotting and cutting the dry/dead stuff. They’re in full sun, but indoors now. I didn’t touched the living foliage, to encourage some thickening and maybe like this they’ll concentrate for the roots. They have no structure, so I’ll became a real magician if I can make something cool from them in less than 10 years.
Now I let them grow and the hunt begins for my next patient. Sooner or later I’ll buy a real Bonsai (a beginner one).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rose98

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mallsai excercise 5 years 10 months ago #39999

• Madartej21
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 102
It can not get full sun if it is indoors.

To be honest I did not have any good experience with the species. I got three of them from my mom last year as she was sure she gave me nice bonsai. They were all root bound, I put them in a bigger container with some well draining medium. I did not even bother with the roots, two of them still died after two weeks. The third one got some serious die backs, but managed to keep it alive. Other than that, it barely grows anything. But you might be more fortunate, also depends on your location and climate.

I am pretty sure that most of these plants and little trees are grown and kept in a green house with a high amount of humidity. They are used to this high humidity level. Then they put them in stores for sale, then they are sold and after few weeks without a humid air and simply because of the changed circumstances, they simply die. No wonder, they are young, undeveloped trees.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, Felidae

Mallsai excercise 5 years 10 months ago #40000

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
I don't get even near Podocarpus.
Good training and luck with yours!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Felidae

Mallsai excercise 5 years 10 months ago #40001

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
Yes.
Madartej21 is right.
"It can not get full sun if it is indoors."
How come indoors an full sun if these terms are mutually exclusive?

Mallsai excercise 5 years 10 months ago #40002

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

It can not get full sun if it is indoors.

You’re totally right :) Not all professional terms are clear at the moment, but I’ll progress. So, they’re in with as much sun as possible.

To be honest I did not have any good experience with the species....

Thank you for the info! I’ll treat them like I treat the Serissa, which one I picked up from a green house. I did something like you. I just trimmed out the dead roots, good drainage soil. I’ll manage gradually down the humidity (or at least I’ll try..) to don’t make more stress.
Yes, they’re really under developed. That’ll be the perfect experience how can I make progression for them.. or not. :D

Good training and luck with yours!

Thanks Clicio! Looks like I have 4 patient for the task, so I can try different methods with them.

How come indoors an full sun if these terms are mutually exclusive?

I’ve learned the term! I promise.. :D

I’ll update the topic if I have question about them, or I see progression/deterioration. I think it’ll be an interesting experience to learning from the reaction of the 4 trees in different conditions.

Last edit: Post by Felidae.

Mallsai excercise 5 years 10 months ago #40189

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Already something. Those buggers reacting faster than I expected.

They’re still indoors, but I help 5-6 hours per day with 6500K, 800 lumen broad spectrum light. Looks like it also helps nicely for the new leaves to stay smaller.

Thinking to build a CREE power led system for the tropical ones for the cooler months when they’re inside. Anyone done similar yet?

Mallsai excercise 5 years 10 months ago #40191

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Thinking to build a CREE power led system for the tropical ones for the cooler months when they’re inside. Anyone done similar yet?

I do not do indoor trees and I do not do grow lights. If I'm right, hardly anyone does - most of us keep our trees outdoors, where they belong.

Mallsai excercise 5 years 10 months ago #40197

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I do not do indoor trees and I do not do grow lights. If I'm right, hardly anyone does - most of us keep our trees outdoors, where they belong.

I like you, Grumpy :) I feel I can have lots of interesting conversations with you if you dare to say what’s in your mind.

Okay, lets get a nice, calm debate with reasoning.

Everything belongs outdoors where it’s native.
Now, with the globalization we get living beings from completely different climates and we need to create an artificial living condition for them, if their needs not matches with what our climate can give. I know what I’m talking about, cause I keep animals from all climates and I even managed to create working biotops indoors with their needs and breeding species which considered almost unbreedable in captivity.

That means, if I want tropical trees to thrive, I won’t let them outside in the -20C Swiss winter, just when the weather conditions more or less matches day and night. So here is the problem. Some plants don’t have the same dormancy period what native trees have in a given area. The most challenging is the light and the air movement in any time.

Those trees survive the winter indoors or heated areas without any artificial support (eg. light), but that’s not the optimal for them. I can bet anytime at least two beers that in proper artificial wintering conditions those trees kicking harder than without.

You can keep P. macrophyllus in Florida outside all year around, but you cannot do the same thing in Switzerland or ND.

Mallsai excercise 5 years 10 months ago #40199

• Røng
  • Thanks received: 10
Hey Felidae,

I am delighted to see how much you've gotten into bonsai art and how much time and passion you're putting into it. Also, I am pretty jealous on you like really, where do you find such cheap plants? Haha. I've got my Podocarpus for 15 euro only ONE piece not four. :P

The trees you've got there are very good looking, thick trunk and nice branches. Usually Podocarpus will treat you nice if you take good care of it, meaning if you put it in good indirect light and provide it with the necessary water the buds will explode at any time. One trick you could use would be to put a tray under the pots and fill it with water for about 1-1.5 CM so you increase humidity for the trees. I keep my bonsai close to the window and all the light is reflected from the building in front of mine (i would love some more light but there's nothing I can do about it) and I also keep the window opened all the time, sometimes I even leave it fully opened for several hours in hot days. So far my tree has adapted pretty well to the indoor conditions and I believe you shouldn't have any struggles with the weather as we live in pretty much similar conditions (I am from Bucharest, Romania). I would really love to see the outcome of these beautiful babies you've got there so I am crossing my fingers for you!

Mallsai excercise 5 years 10 months ago #40204

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I am pretty jealous on you like really, where do you find such cheap plants? Haha. I've got my Podocarpus for 15 euro only ONE piece not four. :P

I can tell you various shopping methods, but better if I just say : I’m a lucky cat ;)

The trees you've got there are very good looking, thick trunk and nice branches.

No, they’re really not.. They were just average, dying mallsais. No structure, no work on them. They just cut up a taller Podo and let the sticks get some foliage in the top part. Mines are came from a bigger tree than yours thou.. Being a conifer, able to don’t show too much signs even if it’s almost dead.

Usually Podocarpus will treat you nice...

You must know that I didn’t follow any advice blindly. I’m a thinker. Even if we both keep them inside, we have different conditions. Cause of the Tillandsias around them, I don’t need to worry for the humidity. I wasn’t sure about that in few days ago, but they really don’t need a terrarium.

I believe you shouldn't have any struggles with the weather as we live in pretty much similar conditions (I am from Bucharest, Romania).

I’m originally from Budapest and visited Romanian friends in Bucharest in several times :) No, I absolutely don’t have any struggles with the weather, but you must understand, those plants are sick, even if they’re budding. The root system is really in bad conditions, and I won’t risk them in the 6C degrees night outside. Looks similar climate, but believe me, it’s not. You can get nasty sunburns in freezing cold weather in the middle of the winter of the Swiss mountains, and maybe you need to wear winter jacket in mid spring, cause get a bit cloudy. With that artificial light I just give a kick boost till I can put them outside.

I would really love to see the outcome of these beautiful babies you've got there so I am crossing my fingers for you!

Thank you :) I’ll do what I’m able to..

• Page: