Bonsai forum

Varigated Ficus Benjamina - Cuttings

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by BassandBonsai on topic Re: Varigated Ficus Benjamina - Cuttings

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #1349
So cool, Leslie! Here's hoping it works.
by BassandBonsai

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Leslie
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7

Replied by Leslie on topic Re: Varigated Ficus Benjamina - Cuttings

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #1361
Thank you J for more great advice. :)

How do I know when they have rooted? Is there a general length of time needed for them to develope enough roots to handle the transition from a closed environment to open air? Should I be opening the lid briefly each morning and misting them?
by Leslie

• hein
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 2

Replied by hein on topic Re: Varigated Ficus Benjamina - Cuttings

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #1397
I normally associate new leaf growth with root growth. The ficus species is an awesome species to work with. I have had a 100% success rate with cuttings. I would say that as soon as you see new growth wait about a week. Then let in normal amount of fresh air. If the leafs start to show any signs of wilting then you know that enough roots haven't formed. When in the mini greenhouse, enough moist air should form so misting won't be necessary while in the green house. As soon as they are out, mist them for a few days and keep a look out for any wilting. If all seems fine then your cuttings has taken and your on your way.
by hein

• Leslie
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #1402
Ahhhhh...that makes sense! I never thought of the association of the new leaf/root growth. Thank you, Hein for the advice and encouragement. :)
by Leslie

• hein
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #1403
Its a pleasure. I am just glad I could help.
by hein

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Re: Varigated Ficus Benjamina - Cuttings

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #1405
Hey Leslie,

Just an opening bud is not enough for ficus: They may produce a new leaf based on stored energy. Wait till ou clearly have growth.
by leatherback

• Leslie
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #1411
Thank you, J.

I went back a re-read previous postings and read further on the link you shared with me earlier. I will wait for significant growth. I'm thinking I may have to modifiy the dome lid to raise it on my mini greenhouse because the cuttings are almost touching the top of it already. Would you agree?

Also, as I was (so carefully) planting the Ficus cuttings, on two of them the single leaf fell off leaving just the bud. So, I continued to plant the two cuttings with just the bud and I stuck the two leaves in the soil. I'm not really expecting anything from the leaves but thought it was worth a try. I hope the cuttings with the single buds still root and grow.

...Sigh...I never knew growing a plant could be so exciting and so stressful all at the same time. :blink: LOL!
by Leslie

• Leslie
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1588
Hi All,

I've got good news...:P ...I'm so excited. My Verigated Ficus Benjamina cuttings are sprouting new spikes; other spikes are swelling; and new leaves have opened! :woohoo: Yaaaayyyyeee!

I know, I have to wait until there is significantly more growth before I can be sure they are in fact rooted but, dang!...it's good to see a little action! Here are a few photos...
by Leslie

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• hein
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1593
Hey Leslie

Sometimes it is just stored energy that is left in the cutting, but with a ficus there is no doubt. I firmly believe that your cuttings has taken. The fact that a ficus is so hardy, makes it an ideal candidate for cuttings. I have a big ficus natalensis from which I am taking cuttings. I once cut one down to size and for fun stuck a "cutting" of 8cm thick in the ground and forgot about it. 4 weeks later..... BAM, new growth. And it was also the start of winter at the time. So yeah, I think your good. Will post a pic for you later if you want

Sorry for the babble
by hein

• Leslie
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1600
Hi Hein, :)

Thanks for you reply! ...and I don't consider it *babble*. *Sharing* is what these forums are all about. I appreciate your support and encouragement. That's amazing news you shared about the 8cm cutting! :lol: Sure, I'd love to see a photo of it...is it the above mentioned cutting? It will give me goal to look forward to.
Actually, if enough of these little cuttings survive, I would like to do a group planting of them. The gentleman I got the cuttings from has created a forest Bonsai display and it is stunning! I may ask him for more cuttings when he next prunes his Ficus. ;)
by Leslie