Re: Varigated Ficus Benjamina - Cuttings 12 years 6 months ago #1607

• hein
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 2
There it is Leslie

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Varigated Ficus Benjamina - Cuttings 12 years 6 months ago #1621

• Leslie
  • Leslie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Wow! :woohoo: That's pretty wild and amazing! As the trunk is so big it would be cool to create Shari (deadwood) up the side of the trunk to the top of the trunk, while narrowing the top of the trunk to look like a part of the tree had split away during a lightning storm. It would solve the problem of having that very wide, blunt end at the top. You would lose a few branches in the area of the Shari however, I think it would add a lot of character to your tree. What do you think?

Re: Varigated Ficus Benjamina - Cuttings 12 years 6 months ago #1632

• hein
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 2
A shari on a ficus? :huh: Wow, I never knew it could be done. I always thought ficus trees weren't suitable trees for it. Is it the same principal as for other trees?

Last edit: Post by hein. Reason: spelling

Re: Varigated Ficus Benjamina - Cuttings 12 years 6 months ago #1634

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hahaha...to be honest with you Hein, I don't know if Ficus is suitable for Shari or not. Perhaps some research into that would be wise before experimenting. I *do* know that the Ficus is very suitable for the Banyan style.

My imagination gets carried away sometimes. :blush:

Re: Varigated Ficus Benjamina - Cuttings 12 years 5 months ago #2158

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Folks, :)

It's been a month since my last update so I took some new photos today of how my Variegated Ficus Benjamina cuttings are progressing. When I first planted these cuttings, all but *one* had just one leaf...the *one* had no leaf and just a spike showing.

The cuttings have been under a plastic tent with ventilation holes in the top and they have all taken root.:cheer: Once they started to sprout new leaves I began removing the tent at night (a week ago) and, replacing it in the morning thru the day. I have some questions on how to proceed...

1. What is the next step with the tent removal?

2. How do I know when they are ready to be transferred to their own little pots with regular bonsai soil?

3. When can I begin feeding them?

If you have any other advice or suggestions, they are most welcome. Thanks!;) Here are the new photos:

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Varigated Ficus Benjamina - Cuttings 12 years 5 months ago #2213

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Hi there Leslie,
Congratulations! TGHese look mightly pleased with you. I would stop putting the hat on during the night. THe plants have rooted and are growing. In another 2 weeks you will see the plants safely continuing on their way up. If they just continue to be happy, you can give them their own pot.
I personally would NOT put them in bonsai soil to start with, unless you plan on doing a shohin style tree. Normal potting soil is much better to beef of the plants. You will get a quicker result, and the plants are easier to take care of.

Feeding? Just treat them as regular house-plants now. Just let them go, and feed as normal. When you think they are big enough to start styling (Which you can now of course already do by removing growing points where you do not want them) you can decide to report into bonsai soil.

Re: Varigated Ficus Benjamina - Cuttings 12 years 5 months ago #2230

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Jelle,

Thank you for your response, advice and encouragement. I am not sure however, you understood what I have been doing with the plastic covering. I have been taking the plastic covering off every night for almost two weeks now and then I put it back on in the morning through the daylight hours, as you instructed. How long do I continue doing this? :huh:

Re: Varigated Ficus Benjamina - Cuttings 12 years 5 months ago #2236

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Haha, I miswrote; I meant to say; Stop putting the hat on during the day. I would expect the plants to have adjusted enough; They should be able to live in your normal air, without the cover :D

Re: Varigated Ficus Benjamina - Cuttings 12 years 5 months ago #2239

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thank you, Jelle! :)

Oh goodie! They can come out of the nursery and start being 'big' plants now! :lol:

Re: Varigated Ficus Benjamina - Cuttings 12 years 4 months ago #2441

• sai
  • Thanks received: 1
Variegated Benjamina is slow growing one and trunk may not thicken. It is not easy to form good bonsai except for the color of leaves. But if you provide enough humidity you can get more areal roots which can add to the beauty of Bonsai. Dont try small bonsai.