TOPIC:

Mugo Pine Advise 9 years 4 months ago #13340

• alainleon1983
  • alainleon1983's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185
Hi guys...

This is my latest acquisition... A Mugo Pine. I bought it yesterday while wandering around Madrid ;)

Well, the thing is I´m new with conifers and I would like to know how would you possibly style this specimen. Due to its great amount of very low branches I´m thinking in a multiple trunk (Kabudachi) style, but as usual I´d be eager to hear more opinions.

Now, the rest of the things I would really love to know:

1- I´ve read that pines should be repotted right before the buds begin to sprout and that would be early spring, but that in the case of the Mugo, this species responds better if repotting is done in mid to late summer, that would be late July or August depending on the location... So, I´d like to know if this is true and specially if any of you have a Mugo Pine I could use knowing when do you effectively repot it, Spring or Summer?

2- How do I effectively construct backbudding in a Mugo Pine?

3- How would you pinch the candles at the branches´ tips? Using your fingers or using your scissors?

Well... I think that would be all... for now :whistle: I know there are a lot of questions but I would really appreciate any help. After all... It is my first conifer!

Thank you all in advance,

Alain

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by alainleon1983.

Mugo Pine Advise 9 years 4 months ago #13341

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
It is a bit difficult to see, but it looks as if there are too many branches coming from the same point which is typical of many pines. I would be removing some.
As for re potting I do mine either late spring or late summer, so April or late August to mid September. They do not like heavy root pruning. I think I would be planting that in the grould to try to get some girth on the trunk, and worry about style later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: alainleon1983

Mugo Pine Advise 9 years 4 months ago #13343

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
I have no experience with pines but i would deal with the styling last. I am alo wanting to grow a pine and have come across this awesome pdf on pruning you can read up on while you are growing the pine:

www.adamsbonsai.com/pine_foliage.pdf

;)

I know tht pines also like mucellium in theor soil so when repotting dont remove all the soil.

Last edit: Post by bob.

Mugo Pine Advise 9 years 4 months ago #13348

• Orlando
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 151
I have done repotting in spring and summer.the summer repotting was recovering à bit faster but maybe that was due to other factors i don't know of.
This site has a good explanation for pinus mugo/sylvestris.
It's in dutch but with google translate it is understandable.
And maybe adjust little to your climate.

translate.google.nl/translate?hl=en&sl=n...2520Den/&prev=search

Cheers 

Mugo Pine Advise 9 years 4 months ago #13366

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

It is a bit difficult to see, but it looks as if there are too many branches coming from the same point which is typical of many pines. I would be removing some.
As for re potting I do mine either late spring or late summer, so April or late August to mid September. They do not like heavy root pruning. I think I would be planting that in the grould to try to get some girth on the trunk, and worry about style later.

Thank you so much Geoff. Indeed I will remove some of those lower branches, but not all of them, as I said, I wanted to perform a multiple trunk in a future. Oh... and you are right, I will not style it just yet, it needs a few more growing seasons in which I aim to achieve the much desired backbudding, even if I´m not sure how to do this... yet.

As for the repotting, I´m glad to know the either way I would not be making any tragic mistake, no matter if I repot in Spring or Summer. I needed to confirm this with someone who actually had a Mugo Pine.

Thanks Geoff...

Alain

Mugo Pine Advise 9 years 4 months ago #13367

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I have come across this awesome pdf on pruning you can read up on while you are growing the pine:

www.adamsbonsai.com/pine_foliage.pdf

Jaimin... Hands down!!! :) Magnificent piece of information. I´d be treasuring this .PDF file. Thanks a lot man...

Alain

Mugo Pine Advise 9 years 4 months ago #13368

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I have done repotting in spring and summer.the summer repotting was recovering à bit faster but maybe that was due to other factors i don't know of.

Thanks Orlando. It is good to know that you also have repotted your pine indistinctly in Spring and Summer. I, like you said, wouldn´t know for sure the difference or why they, arguably, respond differently while repotting in these two seasons. The thing is that a red light turned on when I read this from Harry Harrington´s site :

"Pinus mugo has a bad reputation for reacting badly to repotting and rootpruning. It is not unusual to hear of Mugos becoming weak or even dying after a Spring repotting.
Unlike the timing for the Japanese Black Pine which is normally repotted as they come into active growth (the candles have extended and the new needles can be seen held tight against the candle). Mugo pines react far better to Summer repotting.
Following comments I read on the internet last year that Mugos dislike being repotted in early Spring and respond strongly to be repotted while active in the Summer, I repotted 3 Mugos last August with great success. The Mugo pine appears to be one of a few tree species that actually prefer repotting and rootpruning during the growing season."

So, you would understand why I was doubtful from the very beginning.

Alain

Mugo Pine Advise 9 years 3 months ago #14037

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Quick update guys... This is how my Mugo Pine looks like now. The thing is last saturday a Master came by the club I belong to and helped us all styling the trees we brought. I´m responsible for the wiring and the Jins of my tree, brand selection and positioning it is all credited to our Master. As you can see I finally decided to depict a windswept style (Fukinagashi). Currently I´m really pleased with the final outcome... So, I would like to know your thoughts and advices... What do you all think of it? Thank you in advance...

Alain

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Mugo Pine Advise 9 years 3 months ago #14038

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
I think windswept is a good choice.
wiring looks very good.
I guess my advice will be the usual one: now let it grow for a while...

Mugo Pine Advise 9 years 3 months ago #14043

• Orlando
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 151
Looks nice Alain