Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

when to re pot my seedlings 9 years 4 months ago #13660

• Lee Beckett
  • Lee Beckett's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 5
hi there, i have about 50 paper birch seedling growing in a small container in a propagator, i planted about 100, should i re pot them individually and leave them in the greenhouse for a while? how old should they be before planting them outside? many thanks for any help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

when to re pot my seedlings 9 years 4 months ago #13666

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
Repot a year after germination. Cut half of the main tap root to encourage the production of smaller roots which are used for feeding the plant. But planting outside in open ground will help it grow faster. But put the seedlings under some protection when they are outside whether in a pot or in the ground. I would also advise to wait for further posts.

when to re pot my seedlings 9 years 4 months ago #13668

• Lee Beckett
should i keep them all in the same tray for a year? theres alot of seedlings in a small space. i have loads of deep root training trays, and pots, would they be better off moved into there own pot now?

when to re pot my seedlings 9 years 4 months ago #13669

• Lee Beckett
thanks also, i appreciate any help/advice, im so new to it all, its good to talk to a person with experience!

when to re pot my seedlings 9 years 4 months ago #13670

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
If they are in a really tight space as you say then put them in twos in pots or just one to each pot but dont disturb their roots. Try your best not to disturb the roots. You can pot them individually , yes.

I have not any experience (just a year) with bonsai but i have four years experience with general gardening including trees and growing shrubs. It will be good to share the rewards and problems in this beautiful art with anyone ;) . Somehow time has been generous and i have been able to pack a lot in one year :D

Last edit: Post by bob.

when to re pot my seedlings 9 years 4 months ago #13674

• Lee Beckett
thankyou, i have loved the art for years but lived in a 2 bed flat so could never really get involved, iv read alot on the internet but found it vague, now i have a 60 by 30 meter garden, huge greenhouse and polytunnels im bursting with questions and loving it! my wife, not so much!

when to re pot my seedlings 9 years 4 months ago #13675

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
:D you are lucky ;) your imensely sized garden will give you the oppertunity to do a lot be it bonsai or just gardening. Thhe greenhouses and pollytunnels will grant you access to many species not native to britain as well.

Now for my garden, i am in a flat like you have been (on the ground floor) but i am lucky enough to get a small share of communal ground about one by two meters big, but i ordered a small pollytunnel to stop people from nicking any plant i put in the pollytunnel. But i have had the luck and misfortune of the previous owner chipping off the seal for my windowsill which lets the cool air into the windowsill for my plants but the condensation is bigger than your garden :D

Last edit: Post by bob.

when to re pot my seedlings 9 years 4 months ago #13678

• Lee Beckett
my garden is in the falklands tho, big downfall is the wind, and i cant buy young trees, apart from lodgepole? or radidata? iv been waiting 4 months for these babys now though, where do you live? have you had much success growing from seed? i grow my own veg and have alot of grass to mow but no trees!!!!

when to re pot my seedlings 9 years 4 months ago #13680

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I live in greater london by barnet. Decent weather. I m growing garlic and am planning on liquorice. If you are worried about the wind then maybe you could set up a small square wall and put bonsai and future bonsai there. Thee must be more native trees in your country to grow as bonsai if not than i fell sorry for you, but you can as you are doind get trees online but the internet is not so reliable nor does the shipping grant safe travel. But getting seeds is possibly the best option in our case if those two trees are your only option.

when to re pot my seedlings 9 years 4 months ago #13682

• Lee Beckett
im from portsmouth, iv only been here 3 years, i have zelkova serrata, blue spruce, noble fir and a few other fir trees growing which will look pritty naff with lights on this year!! very slow growing, and 2 blue jackarandas, there about a foot tall now, i dont know what to do with them now i dont think they can ever go outside! i know it will take years and years for them to be suitable for bonsai, but you have to work with what you have, i enjoy it more and more with every month they grow, ill be 44 when there ready!! hahah :ohmy:

• Page: