Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

New to bonsai shaping/trimming/training!!!! 7 years 11 months ago #21837

• Bhawk
  • Bhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Hi everyone! I am fairly new to the art of bonsai and have been doing a bunch of research lately and recently bought 2 pre-bonsai to grow through time, but that's not why I'm here. I received a gift from my long time family friend today of a tree they told me was about 8 years old or so. They have lost interest in it and gladly gave it to me for free. They have not done anything to the tree besides let it grow and then threw it into a bonsai pot. I carefully moved some of the top lava rock and soil to see more of the roots and it looks to have wires in the roots and going through the mesh on the bottom. I'm here because I'm looking for some guidance into what the best shape and style for my tree would be along with what to do and what to trim to create such style. Any help, tips, and/or guidance would be tremendously appreciated. I am positive the tree is a juniper as well! Thank you for your time!! :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New to bonsai shaping/trimming/training!!!! 7 years 11 months ago #21841

• Bhawk
  • Bhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Here are some pictures of the tree!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

New to bonsai shaping/trimming/training!!!! 7 years 11 months ago #21842

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I received a gift from my long time family friend today of a tree they told me was about 8 years old or so. They have lost interest in it and gladly gave it to me for free.

I love free trees :)

They have not done anything to the tree besides let it grow and then threw it into a bonsai pot.

Unfortunately, the result is that you now have a copy of a mallsai, rather than a pre-bonsai.

I carefully moved some of the top lava rock

Are you sure that's lava?

it looks to have wires in the roots and going through the mesh on the bottom.

This is needed to anchor the tree in the pot and to keep it fixed in its position, so the plant cannot move and the roots don't get disturbed. The wire should be removed once the tree is settled - and certainly before it grows into the roots. I guess though the wire goes in between, not in the roots?

I'm here because I'm looking for some guidance into what the best shape and style for my tree would be along with what to do and what to trim to create such style.

Looking at the tree I think you should not think about shaping and styling at all at this moment. It seems the tips are yellowing/browning, which is not a good sign. First get this plant in top condition, learn to take care for it, keep it alive, and make it thrive. Don't do anything else the next year. This gives you time to research junipers and bonsai styling.

Best style for this tree seems: Cascade or semi-cascade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bhawk

Last edit: Post by Auk.

New to bonsai shaping/trimming/training!!!! 7 years 10 months ago #21859

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
What I notice is a lot of dead ends on the branches, due to trimming. Could it be you just trimmid it using scissors, and many growing tips at once?

Last edit: Post by Oscar.

New to bonsai shaping/trimming/training!!!! 7 years 10 months ago #21861

• Indo Andreas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 92
Your soil is lava no doubt, it comes in red and black here in Indonesia.

for sure there was to much cutting going on, but don't worry about to much, give it a season to grow and recover. The wire should be no problem.
Btw, welcome to a nice hobby and thanks for sharing.

New to bonsai shaping/trimming/training!!!! 7 years 10 months ago #21877

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

What I notice is a lot of dead ends on the branches, due to trimming. Could it be you just trimmid it using scissors, and many growing tips at once?

Are you sure it's the needles at the end of the branches? I thought I saw y ellowing buds.
A close up would help...

New to bonsai shaping/trimming/training!!!! 7 years 10 months ago #21888

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

for sure there was to much cutting going on, but don't worry about to much, give it a season to grow and recover.

Be carefull stating that too much cutting is no problem. Too intense removal of growing tips can kill junipers.

New to bonsai shaping/trimming/training!!!! 7 years 10 months ago #21890

• Indo Andreas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 92
@leatherback
As far I stated, it was to much cutting done. As far as I know one should never cut more then 20% of Juniper foliage at any one time, however I have done a few trees where I took up to 50% off, the trees are still alive and growing, lucky me.

New to bonsai shaping/trimming/training!!!! 7 years 10 months ago #21896

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Once again, this is a forum with people at all levels of experience. It is important to not make a statement that it is not a problem to cut a lot off. Yes, in some cases it is not a problem. I have done so too. However, removing all growing tips from junipers can kill them.

New to bonsai shaping/trimming/training!!!! 7 years 10 months ago #21897

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Are you sure it's the needles at the end of the branches? I thought I saw y ellowing buds.

Nope. Not sure. The canopy is way to dense anyway. But I was not going to comment, for risk of being called rude when I mentioned tyhat I would call this topiary, not bonsai.