Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

A call for reflection.. On posting & attitude 4 years 6 months ago #53097

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1351
I totally agree with leatherback.

I also work in an international environment. And hang in many different international forums. I know a lot about cultural differences. But for sure the Hard attitude here is beyond country cultures. I have never seen anything like it, so it is more likelly a question about bonsai community or bonsai empire culture than country culture. I would guess the later.

Telling People that their trees is a mallsai and that it Will likelly die is simply the truth. But it does not necessary get more People into the hobby or into bonsai empire.

Giving tips and trix to grasp for that fraction of a chanse to save the tree might have the opposite result, so why dont try that?

I dont really want to go into the Times beginners that looks for advice is not considered even potential beginners in the hobby by the community....So I dont.

With that said, I am sorry for causing this thread to pop up again. I will lurk around here in the future as well. Adding my thoughts when I feel I have something to add to the discussion. However, I will not post any pictures or questions about my own projects. For me as a human beeing with emotions there are better places to learn and get help.

Thanks all for trying!

Br
Magnus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hansen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Tropfrog.

A call for reflection.. On posting & attitude 4 years 6 months ago #53099

• leatherback
  • leatherback's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

I will lurk around here in the future as well. Adding my thoughts when I feel I have something to add to the discussion. However, I will not post any pictures or questions about my own projects. For me as a human beeing with emotions there are better places to learn and get help.

Sorry to hear.

One of the challenges this forum has is a low density of interesting posts, causing frustration with the sheer volume of dying plants and assertive responses when people conclude that a plant is beyond rescue. Getting more projects and progressions that last longer than 2 weeks would be good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, Tropfrog

A call for reflection.. On posting & attitude 4 years 6 months ago #53103

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
And please do not forget that whatever message you try to write, or read, english is not the native language of most users of this forum!!! Words/sentences are often translated quite literally from the native language to english resulting in sentences that can easily be understood wrong...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tropfrog

A call for reflection.. On posting & attitude 4 years 6 months ago #53112

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

TI dont really want to go into the Times beginners that looks for advice is not considered even potential beginners in the hobby by the community....

The majority of people looking for advice for their dying mallsai are not potential beginners in the hobby, just like people buying a kimono at Wallmart are not people interested in the study of traditional clothing during the Edo period in Japan. The ones that are, stay around.

I have never seen anything like it

This has a reason. I visit other forums as well. No other forum I know of is flooded so often with questions from people that aren't really into the hobby - and we see the exact same questions over and over and over again. Sometimes it annoys people that come here to discuss bonsai.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, Koisai

Last edit: Post by Auk.

A call for reflection.. On posting & attitude 4 years 6 months ago #53113

• Koisai
  • Thanks received: 8

I have never seen anything like it

This has a reason. I visit other forums as well. No other forum I know of is flooded so often with questions from people that aren't really into the hobby - and we see the exact same questions over and over and over again. Sometimes it annoys people that come here to discuss bonsai.

I agree. Much like the bonsai hobby, the koi hobby focuses on the future, proper care in the now, and learning through experience from the past. It is a fine art as well. However, on koi forums such as koiphen, there is plenty of good conversation to be had and it's not just the constant drone of people killing their fish and calling their Petco comet goldfish a koi. Yes, it happens occasionally, but it's not the only discussion. I stopped frequenting the recent posts on this forum because I realized there is rarely good discussion. Now I look at the progression threads etc. and watch youtube videos.

Maybe one day this forum will come to life.

Last edit: Post by Koisai.

A call for reflection.. On posting & attitude 4 years 6 months ago #53114

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I do understand the anoyment around the majoity of beginners with dying trees. However, With good guidance maybe a few of the mallsai beginners would stay around longer.

If you have Nothing to say that helps the OP, maybe it is better not to post and let People with a little bit more social skills answer.

Br
Magnus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hansen

A call for reflection.. On posting & attitude 4 years 6 months ago #53115

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I do understand the anoyment around the majoity of beginners with dying trees. However, With good guidance maybe a few of the mallsai beginners would stay around longer.

Stay around for a bit longer than you've been here. You'll eventually learn that the majority of new mallsai owners, including the ones that do get friendly answers (and actually, most of them do), never return. Very often they don't even respond after they got their answer, let alone say thanks. They're not here to learn about bonsai, they wanted quick and easy answers about a dying houseplant.

As I said, the ones that really are into bonsai, stay.

If you have Nothing to say that helps the OP, maybe it is better not to post and let People with a little bit more social skills answer.

Seems you need to work on yours as well. So far you're the one that can't resist to try and correct others on this forum, in a not so friendly way.

A call for reflection.. On posting & attitude 4 years 6 months ago #53123

• Hansen
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 86

Seems you need to work on yours as well. So far you're the one that can't resist to try and correct others on this forum, in a not so friendly way.

Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tropfrog

A call for reflection.. On posting & attitude 4 years 6 months ago #53126

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
What I usually try to awoid and most of the time actually succeds in awoiding is criticising a person. I would expert other People here to awoid that as well.

That is how my 8 year old daughter handle conflicts.

A good rule of Thumb is to avoid the Word you. It makes me sad that one person takes my last comment as a personal critique. It was not my intention. I commented on a General approach that I see on this forum.

We all needs to work on our social skills, me included. That is a part of a long term process that lasts a liftime and never gets to perfection. Much like bonsai.

Br
Magnus

Last edit: Post by Tropfrog.

A call for reflection.. On posting & attitude 4 years 6 months ago #53128

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

What I usually try to awoid

Should be continuing to post pointless and off topic messages.

I'm out. Back to bonsai.