Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Newbie Panic- Ordered Crape Myrtle, Dwarf Jade and a Gardenia. 4 years 2 months ago #55468

• Valdus
  • Valdus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
​I ordered the above mentioned trees and I am a bit of a quiver. I guess the shipping alerts have unnerved me a bit. I think the Gardenia will be a challenge, as well as the Crape. I have read that the Dwarf Jade is reasonably easy. A succulent and hardy little fellow which should not be a problem here in Southern Louisiana.

Perhaps the worst thing I am pondering is placement. I think I know a place for both (Jade is going inside I hope).

But if anyonre has any ideas, suggestions, or warnings please do let me know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Valdus.

Newbie Panic- Ordered Crape Myrtle, Dwarf Jade and a Gardenia. 4 years 2 months ago #55469

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

​But if anyonre has any ideas, suggestions, or warnings please do let me know.

Pro-tip:
Ask questions about species, their care and placement BEFORE you order them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, Mickey84

Newbie Panic- Ordered Crape Myrtle, Dwarf Jade and a Gardenia. 4 years 2 months ago #55470

• Bunsen33
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 43
Dwarf Jade (also known as Portulacaria afra) can be tricky. I am a succulent enthusiast with over 150 different species in my collection. I have a handful of my original plants from 2006 when I finished undergrad and a fair number of my plants have strict water requirements (you look at them with a watering can in your hand in certain months and they die). I killed more than a few P. afras. I really have no idea how to keep them alive for more than a year. All I'm say is that the Dwarf Jade may be more difficult than you are anticipating. Do some research on what P. afras need (not 'real' Jade, aka Crassula ovata and other related Crassula species/subspecies/variants).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valdus

Newbie Panic- Ordered Crape Myrtle, Dwarf Jade and a Gardenia. 4 years 2 months ago #55471

• Valdus
Noted, yeah, I got excited and jumped the gun.

Newbie Panic- Ordered Crape Myrtle, Dwarf Jade and a Gardenia. 4 years 2 months ago #55472

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Noted, yeah, I got excited and jumped the gun.

And fell into the same pitfall as others who buy low-quality trees that are labelled as bonsai, but really aren't, and actually aren't so suitable for bonsai either (unless maybe when you grow them in their native environment).

If you want to learn how to do bonsai, start learning about trees and what works well in your local environment, outdoors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valdus

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Newbie Panic- Ordered Crape Myrtle, Dwarf Jade and a Gardenia. 4 years 2 months ago #55473

• Valdus
I am pretty sure the Crape is pretty legitimate. It is from a local vender and crapes grow here in Southern Louisiana like crazy. A dwarf jade was recommended as a good starter. The Gardenia? Quite frankly I got that because I just love the plant, knowing full well it is more of a bush than a tree.
I think my biggest worry is placement. My Louisiana yard is not subtle, it is either shade or sun, nothing really in between. I guess learning has a price, eh?

Newbie Panic- Ordered Crape Myrtle, Dwarf Jade and a Gardenia. 4 years 2 months ago #55474

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I am pretty sure the Crape is pretty legitimate.

Yep. Sounds good (I didn't check your local climate but if they grow like crazy there, that's a good thing)

The Gardenia? Quite frankly I got that because I just love the plant, knowing full well it is more of a bush than a tree.

It's not a problem that it's more of a bush.

it is either shade or sun, nothing really in between

You can fix that... for example making some kind of construction with shadow cloth. Not sure if that's needed.

Newbie Panic- Ordered Crape Myrtle, Dwarf Jade and a Gardenia. 4 years 2 months ago #55475

• Valdus
Here are two of the items I question, gardenia and dwarf jade. Put it a sunny southern window (for a week right?) and watered until gray was full.

Now?

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Newbie Panic- Ordered Crape Myrtle, Dwarf Jade and a Gardenia. 4 years 2 months ago #55476

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326

Here are two of the items I question, gardenia and dwarf jade. Put it a sunny southern window (for a week right?) and watered until gray was full.

Now?

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

As previous poster Said about dwarf jade. Watering it at wrong time and it Will die. You have winter right now? In winter they need to be bone dry, no excepions.

But on the other hand, as you stated yourself. Learning has a price. Hope it Will make it.

Newbie Panic- Ordered Crape Myrtle, Dwarf Jade and a Gardenia. 4 years 2 months ago #55479

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

The 'humidity trays' will not do anything for your plants. They are useful as drip trays though.
Jades do not need that much water (disagreeing that you should keep them bone-dry throughout winter)

• Page: